[amibroker] Some important information about betas

Hello,

Since there are lots of people apparently "afraid" of betas I would like to clarify some points:

1. New versions are backward compatible

    It means that all your indicators, formulas, databases created in older versions
    are read directly by the new version without any user action required

    (the only case where backward compatibility can be broken are non-critical user-interface customizations
    such as user-defined toolbar buttons or key shortcuts, that can be easily re-created without too much effort.
    Actually this happened once (with the introduction of new UI) and I don't plan to break it anymore)

2. Old versions may not be forward compatible

    It means that on some (rare) cases (which are noted in the read me each time it happens) certain
    data formats are changed and old versions may not be able to read new files.

    What it means to you is that on such occassion if you want to go BACK to some older version
    you would need to restore data files from backup.

    This is quite obvious if you think a while about it - lets say that database is expanded to allow
    some new data field. Of course all new versions are aware of it but old versions do not know that
    there is a new data field and they do not support it.

3. Stability

    New beta versions are usually very stable. If any problem surfaces it is fixed in a matter of minutes
    (in case of show-stoppers) or days (in case of minor problems). Note that during first 24 hours from the release
    each beta is downloaded by 400-500 users on average. It guarantees that if there is anything wrong with new version
    you (and I) will know it within few hours. And as far as I remember there was only one real show-stopper during
    last 5 years :-)

4. Read Me file

    Each beta comes with READ ME file that is also posted together with release announcement.
    Please always read "CHANGE LOG" section to learn what changes have been made. There are also usage examples
    embedded in the "CHANGE LOG" section.
    If some feature/change you have requested earlier is NOT mentioned it means that it is not implemented
    and waits for the implementation.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com