Re: [amibroker] Re: help with simple exploration

Hi imresident2001,

Sunday, November 20, 2005, 4:12:05 PM, you wrote:

i> Hi yugi thanks for sharing this scan with me. I think its going to
i> be extremely useful to me. i dont know much about coding and
i> programming can you please explain what the following lines do.
>> x = 157;
>> else
>> x = 70;
>>
>> and this one
>>
>> Filter=Close > 0 AND Name() != "^IXJ" AND Name() != "@NIKO.1" AND
>> Name() != "^225" AND StrLeft(Name(),1) != "~";

i>  I tried to break down the previous codes but this is too
i> complicated for me thanks

It's no problem.

Let's look at the code:

if (GetDatabaseName() == "eSignal")
x = 157;
else
x = 70;

I have several databases.  One (eSignal) is real time; the others are
all EOD.  The eSignal symbols contain a date stamp that is much
longer than a simple EOD date stamp (it includes time, as well as
date). So, IF the name of the database is eSignal, x = 157 (the width
of the column in pixels), otherwise it equals 70.  This simply allows
me to see the time of the date stamp, for my intraday database.  That
allows me to verify that indeed, when I run an exploration at, say,
1:55 PM, most of the time stamps are very close to that time.  For an
EOD database of course, all I need is the date, not the time stamp,
so I don't need a column that wide.

As for the filter, I am returning anything with a close greater than
zero, and ruling out a few symbols that eSignal does not have, and
would therefore be useless to be returned in an intraday scan.
Finally, I eliminate all symbols that begin with the special
character "~", so that I do not have to see in the return (for
example) equity, or composites that are created for other purposes,
but which would have no value in the exploration return that I am
running simply to get an overview of the market at a particular time.

I don't know much about programming either.  Eventually, if you keep
at it, you learn a few things.  But you will always be learning from
others who know more.

Yuki

24 Hours. Commission-Free.