toolbar tips (WAS: RE: [amibroker] AmiBroker 4.74.1 BETA)

Hi Ken,

Sunday, October 23, 2005, 1:39:31 PM, you wrote:

KH> Hi Yuki.

KH> Just one last question, where do you find the sub, sub menus, so that they
KH> can be placed on a toolbar.

You don't, at first.  Only the first sub menu seems available
(initially) for placing on the toolbar via the customize routine. The
sub, subs are unavailable via the customization tool. (Or at least I
have not found any way to access them, seeing just black triangular
arrows that seem to be unresponsive.)

But . . . once you put a sub menu on the toolbar that contains sub
subs, which you *can* do with the customization tool, you will now
have a text "button" drop-down on the toolbar.  That text menu drop
down will contain all the sub subs. Set that up first.

Then go back to the customize tool, but instead of using it directly,
while it is open and visible, any sub, sub buttons available under
the text sub drop-down will be available for drag and drop as newly
*independent* buttons. No longer will they be under that sub menu you
created on the toolbar after you move them. When you have moved as
much as you need to move from under that text sub menu button, simply
drag it back into the customize tool, and it will be gone. But the
sub, sub buttons you dragged from it will remain in the location you
put them.

None of this changes anything about what is available from the
first-tier menu choices, by the way.  It only changes the way the
toolbars are set up.

So, for example, my 'Back' and 'Forward' buttons are still found
under View -> History from the main menu selections.  But
nonetheless, I have relocated those buttons to the Standard toolbar.
It is not necessary to have them on the View toolbar, or on any other
toolbar other than where you want them.

As I say, there may be an easier way to do these things, but I have
discovered at least one way that it works.  I did this by accident,
actually, having tried unsuccessfully (for reason or reasons unknown)
to simply drag those Back and Forward buttons to the Standard toolbar
directly from the View toolbar initially.  (Perhaps I did not have
the Customize tool open, which I think is necessary.)  But in any
case, being unable to initially drag them directly, I then dragged
them OFF the View toolbar, and subsequently found that I could not
access them via the Customize tool (as they are sub, sub menu items).

So, I simply dragged View -> History to the Standard toolbar
(dragging on History from the Customization tool), and discovered
that it became a (wide) text "button" with a drop-down menu accessing
Back and Forward, the icon buttons of which then could then be
dragged when the Customize tool was open. When I subsequently dragged
History off the toolbar, the sub, sub icon buttons (Back and Forward)
that I'd previously placed, remained exactly where I put them.

Not so intuitive, particularly with the black triangles indicating
sub, sub menus in the Customize tool that seem unresponsive to
anything. But it can be done, and it can be done exactly the way
*you* want it accomplished. The flexibility is very nice.

Yuki

24 Hours. Commission-Free.