[amibroker] tweak request - Tomasz

TJ, I operate with a single monitor, which is my own problem, but if
you could get AB to remember its minimized screen position from one
session to another, I would sure love it.

Perhaps I am one of the very few (doubt I'm alone however) who
thought Apple had it right with the taskbar at the top of the screen.
And I still run windows that way.  For me, the extension of the
fingers to move the pointer to the top of the screen is more
ergonomic than the contraction to pull the pointer to the very bottom
of the screen.  (I think the *only* reason MS put the taskbar at the
bottom in the first place was to try and avoid a 'look and feel'
lawsuit; and as evidence of that I would cite that *all* their other
applications, Office, you name it, have menus at the top of the
screen, not the bottom.)

But I digress.  When AB is closed, and then reopened, and then
minimized, it always shrinks to the same (very small) size, and
always to screen position 0, 0, (the very upper left-hand corner).

I run with the taskbar at the top, always on top, not hidden, and
locked, single row of icons.  My preferences.  No part of any Windows
application gets under the taskbar when maximized.  But when
minimized and lacking the ability to "remember" where the minimized
window's coordinates were, they open as AB does at first in a new
session: upper left corner.

This puts the titlebar of such an application underneath the taskbar.
The application can only then be resized by mousing to an edge or
corner, causing a cursor change, and then clicking.  This action
nudges the minimized application down just a few pixels, allowing the
titlebar to be grabbed, or the maximize, minimize, close buttons to
be accessed (just barely, I might add).  (Designers need to account
for the possibility of a taskbar on either side, as well as the top,
and 0, 0, is not a good default location, I think.)  You can easily
reproduce this, I'm sure, by just closing AB, dragging your taskbar
to the top of the screen, opening AB, and then minimizing.

Okay, why is this so important to me?  I'd like to be able to
periodically update a very small amount of data, by hand, on the fly,
from another streaming data source.  To do this, I have to minimize
AB, so that when I open the Quote Editor, I can see what I want to
copy (I could alt-tab back and forth with AB still maximized, but
that is not nearly as fast, nor as easy, and it also involves human
memory). During the same session, AB behaves as I'd like (remembers
its minimized screen position once I go through the routine of
setting it the first time). But between sessions, this behavior
resets to what is for me an unfortunate default.

If this is not an easy tweak to make, please just forget about it.
But if you could make this adjustment without too much trouble, I
would love it, and I might not be the only one.

If you can't easily make it "remember" between sessions, almost any
other default minimized location would be better, IMO. But it should
be a default location where the titlebar can be grabbed without going
through mouse manipulations, regardless of where a user has set the
taskbar. And Windows allows top or bottom, either side, and some
considerable thickness to the taskbar as well. So screen corners or
very close to screen edges should be avoided, I think. Best, would be
if you could let the user set it, and it would "remember" between
sessions.  But maybe that's not easy.

I realize for sure that you cannot be expected to account for *every*
possible taskbar thickness setting.  Some may have what to most of us
would be absurdly thick taskbars, which could also be on any side of
the screen. But I think the default minimize coordinates should be at
least far enough from any corner of the screen to allow for at least
a single taskbar thickness on any side of the screen, and still have
at least a good piece of the titlebar available without undue
manipulation.  If you could just move the default down a bit and
right a bit for the upper-left corner setting, that would be good
enough.

Yuki

24 Hours. Commission-Free.