RE: [amibroker] how long it takes to scan the whole market?

Your question is too general and depends on many factors.

First, 10,000 stocks isn’t the whole market.   It just depends on how you define it.   Do you really want to scan for penny stocks that trade 5000 shares a day?  Awful hard to get to get a fill.   My filter is 10 day MA close >= $3.00 and <= $60, and 10 day MA volume  >= 100,000 shares per day.    This filter yields about 2100 tradable US Stocks and ADRs.  Then I scan these for specific symbols have certain characteristics.   The final list is a bucket only about 30-40 symbols.

Second, you may be able to perform a real-time scan, but you would have to have a VERY fast computer and a VERY fast datafeed.

Third, it depends on the algorithms that you use.  I have a somewhat older computer – 2.26 Ghz, but with a fast SCSI disk system and 1.5Gb of memory.   I ran a very simple scan that crunched 1500 daily bars of all the symbols in my database 9500 symbols.   It took 2 minutes 30 seconds the first time.  The second it ran, it took 22 seconds  BUT…

I have other scans that ALWAYS take 15 minutes to run.  These scans are calculating custom indicators and saving them as composites.

Bottom line… The concise answer is “Yes”, “No” and “Maybe”.   It just depends.  You need to define your question more precisely.

Regards,

Dan.