RE: [amibroker] Script and Stockconsultant website

Tony,

Well there are two ways that I know of.

Option 1 - The first option is quite simple if all you want to do is to display a symbol’s StockConsultant information when the stock is selected in AmiBroker.  Here’s the process:

1) Replace the symbol code in the URL with {t}.  For example, using the URL below, it would be:

http://www.stockconsultant.com/consultnow/basicplus.cgi?ID=sample&symbol={t}&62695#ttop

2) In AB, select the menu item Symbol à Categories à Markets.    Select each market (NYSE, AMEX, etc) and paste the URL string above into “URLs Profile” box.

3) In AB, select View à Profile.

4) Now, every time you click a symbol in AB, it brings up the StockConsultant site with the symbol selected.

I do the same thing with a StockCharts chart set to display 5 days of one-minute data with certain selected indicators.  Works great!

Option 2 - The second way (which is what I think you want to do) is fairly complex and a bit expensive, but it’s doable.   It involves using a product called Internet Macros.

Option 2a – This is a manual option.  Essentially, you would scan data twice.  The first scan would be to get a first-cut list of symbols.  In AB you can add code to your scan that will save symbols to a text file.   You would use this text file as an input list to download to a product called Internet Macros.   You would run Internet Macros to “screen scrape” the relevant data from StockConsoluntant.com and save it to a file.  Then you would run AmiBroker again to load and use the data from the text file.

Option 2b - Alternatively, you could use something like Visual Studio to create a DLL that you would call from an AmiBroker scan.  You would pass a symbol to the DLL.  The DLL would then pass the symbol to Internet Macros.  Internet Macros would call up StockConsultant.com and capture the data.   Instead of saving it to a file, it would be passed back to the DLL.  Then the data would be passed back to AmiBroker which would use it in the scan.

Option 2c - Another possibility would be similar to the above, but you would Internet Macros from an embedded Java script in a AmiBroker scan.

There are several problems with the Internet Macros approach.   The biggest is cost.  The “cheap” Pro version of Internet Macros is $199.   The Scripting version (which I have) is $499.   The Pro version is pretty manual and allows you to save data to a file and to run IM macros from the IM interface.  The Scripting version allows you to call it from a DLL or Script.     Good product but pricy.

The big problem with Option 2a or 2b is that dynamically retrieving data from the web directly to a scan would be sloooooooow.   It’s not the AB scan or the DLL (or script or whatever).  It’s the web.   It’s very slow for this purpose.

It turns out that one of my to-do’s is to retrieve data from several web sites using Internet Macros.   My approach would be something like Option 2.   The only difference is that I’d probably use a DLL and Internet Macros to download and save data for a first-cut list of symbols.  Then, I’d read the data into an array in a DLL.   Then the AB scan would retrieve data from the DLL array.    This would be much faster.   But it is still complex.   So it’s a bit farther down my to-do list.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Actually, there’s a third possibility.  If you are using Windows XP Pro, you set up your own web site on your workstation and create an Active Server Page page as your local home page.  In the ASP page you would have several links that you dynamically change depending on the symbol you passed to it as a parameter.   You would use the “Request.QueryString” function to retrieve the parameter and dynamically create your links.   Then you could access StockConsultant, StockCharts, IBD or almost any web page.

Below is some of the prototype code that I’ve created.   One problem that I found with this approach is that I typically go have to needs.  Sometimes, I simply want to retrieve the same web page over and over for multiple symbols.   Other times, I want to examine a stock closely by looking at the same symbol on multiple web pages.    My plan is to set, save and read a cookie that defaults to the mode I want.   This is another to-do that’s on the back burner for a while.

<h2>Links for Data:</h2>