Re: [amibroker]OT: General note regarding off topic posts.

Hi Bob,

Wednesday, February 2, 2005, 10:33:18 AM, you wrote:

BJ> I much prefer "topposting".

Just my opinion . . . top posting is fine, if everyone is using a
threaded reader, along with some other issues that should be
considered that I'll get to. But when there are 6, 9, 13 replies to a
topic coming in over 2, 3, 5 days, with few if anyone *trimming* so
that the message is less than 10 kb by then (in other words, long),
it becomes a real pain in the neck to follow the thread of the
conversation.  It would also be easier to follow if everyone had an
e-mail client that properly time-stamped, and if everyone's clock was
set correctly. What a dream.  ^_^

But the multiple replies are the worst.  If everyone top posts, then
one must either sit by the computer and catch every message in order,
or, coming late to a thread, try and reconstruct the conversation
from the bottom up. This is a really tough task, because bear in
mind:

***Not *everyone* follows *either* convention: some top post, some
post in line.  The result is a confusing mess.***

So anyone trying to follow a long thread is going to have to figure
it out in light of no convention, or rather two conventions that
anyone can pick and choose from at any time, and will.  And top
posters (sorry, but anyone can *prove* this by a visit to the
archives) invariably *never* trim the Yahoo adds and messages from
between prior posts. They never get below the top line, where their
cursor appears when they hit 'reply', or at least they never get
below their sig line when they are in the editor window. It is simply
a PITA to follow long threads that are top *and* inline posted, and
not trimmed.

Top posting is easy to do, and for a short thread with abbreviated
content, not really a problem at all.  But IMO it's the lazy way out
when the word count is long and the number of replies starts to pile
up. It used to be on many boards that the rule of thumb was:  If you
can see the entire original thread and your reply on your screen
without scrolling, top posting is fine, otherwise post in line, but
preferably post in line anyway -- because there may be other replies
of course.

Personally, I think the whole problem would be a lot easier to deal
with if *everyone* was required to follow one of the conventions or
the other.  I really don't care which; it's the inconsistency and
combination that makes reconstructing long conversations difficult as
much as anything else.  But if top posting is to be the norm, I'd
really like to see some enforcement on cleanup, too.

All that said, there is little problem understanding a conversation,
ever, if people post in line comments.  There isn't a news reader or
mail client I know of that doesn't handle this correctly.  Even then,
some trimming would still be nice.

Bear in mind also, that this is an international list.  Many members
are not native English speakers, including the list owner.  Some
members have much more difficulty following along when snippets from
many different contributors to the same conversation are scattered
randomly up and down a page.  It would be a nice courtesy to have
things in order at least.

Yuki (who trimmed a meter or so of Yahoo advertisements off *this*
reply before she sent it)