Re: [amibroker] Re: OT:Two DSL Services

P> (But that doesn't mean that it is easy to understand why a
P> preponderance of European and Asian populations have such generous
P> access to broadband facilities while so many rural USA communities
P> are so deprived).

P> Since this is an OT subject, I'll comment that it is hard to
P> understand why this is the case since so many billions of US
P> dollars were invested in wideband infrastructure in the late '90s
P> with 'no effect'.

It's easy to understand.  Population density.  Where it's great,
economics of scale apply.  Where it's not, no such benefits can be
had.

Furthermore, a country like the US supposedly worships at the altar
of market economics.  That means the rural segment of the population
is never likely to enjoy the connectivity that their city cousins
enjoy, because the economics of providing it are simply not there.
Too expensive to lay glass out to Jonah's spread that is 50 miles
from nowhere, for a handful of subscribers.

Here in Japan, population density means that almost everyone has
access to reasonably priced 100 mbps glass.  And since Japan tries to
balance market economics with at least some semblance of
egalitarianism, we city folk pay a small premium over what the market
would normally call for, in order to provide the service to our
country cousins at a price they can afford.

Try getting that idea across in the States, and good luck.  ^_^

Yuki