[amibroker] Exit Strategy (was Re: TJ: TASC February 2005 Traders Tips)

Regarding the one tick above/below and it's usefulness in futures
systems .vs. stocks etc ... Yes I'm aware the applicability.  As far
as stops and how to apply them goes, yes I would agree there are lots
of good ways to apply them without advertising them unless of course
one has a system that is so short term oriented that it can only be
managed programmatically which btw doesn't describe how I trade or
how I design systems.  Beyond that I think it should be known, which
it of course would be by those who do trade, that a stop is a
guarantee of nothing other than the order being entered.  In a
downdraft environment a la late 1987 or worse yet limit down in
futures which can occur day after day one will not be getting out
anywhere near where a mechanical stop in a system being backtested
says one would be.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Al Venosa <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:
> OK, that's what I thought you meant. One way to avoid "stop
running" by
> crooked market makers is to compare the CLOSING price to the stop
level,
> and if it is exceeded, then exit next morning on the open (or
within 15
> minutes of the open) on either a market or limit order. That way,
you
> wouldn't be playing the game as if your cards were exposed and the
> market maker's was not. BTW, the idea of setting your stop 1 tick
above
> or below a high/low or resistance/support level works better with
> futures since a tick is different for each commodity (so you don't
have
> to worry about a tick being different for a $100 security vs. a
$500
> security).
>
> Fred wrote:
>

> > No ... I'm not saying I don't like profit stops per se ... I'm
saying
> > I've never liked POINT oriented anything except possibly for some
> > types of entires and exits where they are oriented to 1 tick
> > over/under high/low ... People who develop these sorts of things
are
> > usually focused on very small time frames as a point on the NDX
for
> > example means something very different when the NDX is at 1000 or
> > 5000.  Additionally whether or not ANY type of stop or profit
taking
> > makes for a better system imho needs to be part of backtesting.
In

http://www.traders.com/Documentation/FEEDbk_docs/Abstracts_new/Passam

> > his
> > which I