Re: [amibroker] Percent Profit Trailing Stop Question

Graham,

I have had some email difficulties the past couple of days so
forgive me if I overstate something that has probably already been
discussed.

Bullish Percent Index - I will talk about the BPNYSE since that is
the main indicator used by Dorsey Wright.

For every ticker on the NYSE you find out how many stocks are on a
PnF buy signal.  Then you take the #buys/total# and this gives you
your value for the day.  Each stock has one vote.  And if the stock
is on a buy it can not change it's vote until it goes on a sell
signal.

The traditional scale you found is the correct scale.  This should
be used before moving to a log scale.

Hopefully my email issues are resolved (and Yahoo is not bouncing
any), so if i can answer any questions please let me know.

Regards,
Peter

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham" <gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:
> Bullish Percent Index (BPI)
> Some notes for comment on getting started with this exercise. This
I hope
> will provide a framework for creating a usable BPI.
>

> Ok, although there are no standard box sizes that we can use for
all
> markets, and the box size does need to vary with price ranges
anyway.  A $1
> box size is ok for $100 stock, but no good for a $10 stock. Also
all stocks
> have different prices in their history, so the box size needs to
suit them,
> so that you have the capability to backtest.
> Maybe if stick to a box size of 1% of the price, and reverse of 3%
(ie 3 box
> reversal)
> Alternative box sizing can be via a series of stepped values of
box for the
> various price range steps. eg  $2.01 to $5 is 0.02 & $5.01 to $10
is 0.05
> etc. There are various arrangements available for this depending
on the
> source you read.
>
> Here is a bit of reading I have found relating to P&F and BPI
>
> http://206.155.168.119/cgi-bin/foxweb.exe/D:/foxapps/fwuniv?
email=&doc=gloss
> ary.html&quick=N
> (this is PnFUniversity and has a good set of notes on basic P&F
construction
> and uses)
>
> http://stockcharts.com/support/pnfCharts.html
>
> http://www.investorsintelligence.com/x/869n.html?
_S=6IiQwP57UhgP2wgkV6QjUFtm
> jDtyH#fbc
> (chartcraft)
>
> http://www.ez-pnf.com/ezpnf22u.htm
>
> http://www.archeranalysis.com/beb/index.html
> (bullseye)
>
> http://www.incrediblecharts.com/technical/pnf_charting.htm
>

> Basic P&F construction would be as most of them are done as I have
> researched. We just need some agreement on framework for the
development of
> BPI. Some details can be tailored by the individuals after it is
usable,
> like actual box sizes.
>
> 1. Continue in current direction while new boxes are made.
> 2. If no new box, then has reversal occurred - if yes, then new
column, if
> no then back to one.
>
> Having done a bit in construction of P&F charts I feel this is
probably a
> reasonable starting way of constructing the BPI
>
> 1. Convert all prices to equivalent boxes, rounded to full boxes
so only
> integers are used. This allows for a varying box size through the
charts and
> simplifies the process. As we do not actually need to create
pretty P&F
> charts for each stock we can simplify things requiring only the box
> positions and direction. In effect we have a staircase type result
of price
> movements, and a running direction indicator ( up/down ).  Another
item to
> keep in memory is the previous high point of the last
rising "column".

> 2. From what I can garner from the data on BPI it determines the
number of
> stocks making bullish signals. These are when the rising column
breaks above
> the price of the previous rising column.
>
> ###### What I am not completely certain is whether the stocks
continue to be
> included for subsequent rising boxes after it is higher than the
previous
> rising high?????? Some help on this would be useful.
>
> 3. So after we have done the above and created a composite ticker
of the
> basket of stocks we convert this ticker into usable chart and/or
exploration
> result. I notice the BPI is often shown as a P&F chart.
>

> Comments appreciated on the above.
>
> If no interest then it can just float away into the sunset :), or
if this is
> not wanted and clutters up inboxes can move to alternative AB
yahoo group.

> Cheers,
> Graham
> http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_kavan/

Dorsey Wright.

> Just my 2c.  Looking forward to open dialog on this as time
permits.

> Regards,
> Peter

This
> > would
> > be in real time and be compressed later for charting.
> > One thing that needs attention and is often a thing of personal
preference
> > is the box sizing. I have developed a system for another chart
type that
> > takes the box sizing from the chart moves by using an average of
the bar
> > bar moves and std devn of the moves. This can create a dynamic
box size
> > that
> > varies with the volatility.
> >
> > So if anyone is interested in pursuing this, and providing help
in
> > producing
> > it let me know. If others are not interested in following this
we could
> > then
> > take the development process elsewhere for our discussions.
(maybe even
> > the
> > Amibroker-afl yahoo group site.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Graham
> > http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_kavan/

Pullish
> > Percent
> > charts?        BTW, I imagine that by now, you are all well
aware that I
> > should be the poster boy of Non-Programmers.  Ron D.

> > Hi Ron,
> >
> > "You feel like you are in Camelot when you are using
> > Amibroker."
> >
> > Ah, come on Ron.  Camelot?  Camelot??  Ron, are you are a
> > programmer?  I'm not so when I use AB, I feel like I am in the
> > dungeon. lol
> >
> > Acutally, I find Metastock much easier to use and learn than
AB.  MS
> > seems to have more indicators pre-loaded than AB.  For instance,
> > AB's standard list of formulas doesn't even include %R.  Plus, MS
> > offers phone support as well as email.  And unless I am missing
> > something, only Stockcharts offers Bullish Percent charts as
> > compared to MS and AB.
> >
> > David
> >

> > --- In holygrailsm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mrdavis9" <mrdavis9@xxxx>
wrote:
> > > PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT  POINT OF ALL IS THE SUPPORT
SYSTEM.