RE: [amibroker] Re: Identifying Elliott Waves using AFL

Ken,
there is nothing personal, do not worry about.[how could it be]
Life would be easier if you give us
a. a [clear] definition of EW
b. a proof that it can not be done in AFL
c. [in the lack of b] your opinion WHY it can not be done
instead of repeating the same style
"...
EW analysis and all of its many (subjective) aspects can not be put
wholly into AFL
..."
over and over again.
I have not the slightest intension to speak about EW.
The only thing I try [and enjoy] is to reply buzz question.
Criticism without arguments is a dead end street.
Let us be creative, it would be better for all of us, the users.
Tomasz is resposible enough to speak for what is possible and what is
not. And he prooves his responsibility 24h/day, 7days/week.
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ken Close" <closeks@xxxx> wrote:
> Bill: yours is well stated, perhaps understated.
>

> DT: for perspective, if you receive PDF attachments from the first
post,
> attached is a semi weekly newsletter item (most recent) by a person
name
> Gayer in which extremely complex waves are described in minute
detail.
> I have been collecting Mr. Gayers pdfs for 6 months or more and
marvel
> as he changes some definitions and coins new terms to keep his
> projections of many months ago intact.  It is quite interesting,
but as
> Bill says, serves a background "information" of a sort.  Many Elliot
> Wavers will sometimes (innocently or not) change their wave
labeling in
> order to match some preconceived notion they have of what the market
> "should do".
>

> There is or was an EW program called ElWave which, as I recall,
would
> analyze a chart and churn and churn and put up a little dialog box
with
> the number of "combinations" of wave counts that the program
analyzed
> and show you the top x percent of repeating wave counts.  At times
the
> counter would run into the millions of combinations that the
program was
> analyzing. (I often wondered how it did this on my slow older
computer,
> but the numbers on the screen "could not lie".)
>

> You hit me pretty hard in a previous message about an innocent
comment I
> made about "not being able to program something in AFL".  I believe
it
> was the Advanced GET hidden proprietary codes for the ellipse.  (I
was
> happy to see that the effort went from ellipses to parabolas, and
it is
> out of such connections that real innovations are made.)    I have
> publicly and privately acknowledged your extreme skill in
programming
> creative AFL constructions, but I dare say that EW analysis and all
of
> its many (subjective) aspects can not be put wholly into AFL.  As
Bill
> says, however, should you try, then good luck.
>

> And thanks for all your contributions and efforts.
>

> Ken

EW
> (5 up, 3 down, etc.) can be defined (Dan's Fibonacci pattern code
is a
> good start).  But reality sets in very quickly and one has to
consider
> non-ideal situations where subjective and complimentary analyses are
> used.  The simple part is the coding, the tough part is dealing
with the
> "infinite" number of situations in which non-EW factors are taken
into
> account in making judgments about the final EW count.  And then, of
> course, there is the small complication that there are at least
three
> schools of EW analysis and they all produce different counts except
for
> the simplest situations.  Why do you think that some of the programs
> give the user the option to insert their own count?  Oh, and by the
way,
> why do you think that the commercial programs often produce
different
> counts in less than ideal situations?
>

> You say "code may reproduce exactly what you do manually" and that
> "subjective EW counting may be coded."  You obviously have not
looked
> into EW and believe that it comes down to some easily definable
rules
> and that even subjective evaluation can be defined and thereby
rendered
> objective or "manual."  Except for simple patterns, EW is often not
> manual, mechanical exercise in which subjectivity morphs into
> objectivity, although that is the thrust of Neely's work but I doubt
> that he thinks he has reached that goal.  Consider the problem that
you
> encountered of coding a simple H&S pattern and the fact that some
users
> agreed with the output and others did not.  Multiply that situation
by
> 10 ^ 20  and you will be in the EW world.  We are not yet dealing
with
> artificial intelligence.
>

> As for the commercial programs, if they produce different counts, or
> counts that change as new data is obtained, which one is right?
IMO,
> the one that produces the same count as the user which in turn
requires
> that the user be expert in the subject.  EW programs should, I
believe,
> used as an aid and not a replacement, although to be sure many take
> leap of faith and assume that they can use them in "cruise control."
>

> However, far be it from me to discourage you.  You are a good AFL
> programming technician, but if you are interested in attempting to
> program this type of analysis I suggest that you first become
expert in
> the subject, including the various routes taken by the commercial
> programs, before embarking on this lifelong quest.  This is the
reason,
> I suspect, that many use EW only as background (e.g., is the market
in
> an impulsive or corrective mode) in conjunction with other analyses.
> This is a relatively trivial use of EW that is quite different from
> those that investigate every nuance and/or use it for trading
signals.

> Keep us updated on your progress and good luck.
>

> Bill

D=groups/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1087574495/A=2142721/R=0/SIG=14di1pg12/*h
tt
> p:/www.householdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?
cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt

=000&mc=01PSYAYA004001B220000U0300L0020000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE"click
> here
>

>  HYPERLINK
> "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=285832.4915498.6053011.1269404/D=group
> s/S=:HM/A=2142721/rand=803329181"
>

>    _____
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> *	To visit your group on the web, go to:
> HYPERLINK
> "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/"http://groups.yahoo.com/gr
oup/
> amibroker/
>
> *	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> HYPERLINK
> "mailto:amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?
subject=Unsubscribe"amibro