Re: [amibroker] Re: can I run AB from a CD

Bill,
I do not understand the purpose of your reply.
Nobody said anything for the use of FFT for trading purposes. I have
exposed analytically in the past the reasons, have a look at the list
archives.
I present here an AFL approach for the Elementary Fourier Analysis,
the next step after the crude linear trend. The code is original,
free for the amibroker users and already placed in the files section
of this list.
MESA software, AFAIK, is a [well known] commercial product, there is
no reason to advertise it here, especially when it is not related to
the subject.
If you want to present this theory, please do begin a new thread.
Your comments on the AFL method will be appreciated and this is the
main reason of the presentation.
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <wd78@xxxx> wrote:
> DT & Stephane:
>
> FWIW, the following blurb from Ehlers website raises some concerns
about FFT.  Charts regarding FFT are on:

> http://www.mesasoftware.com/#FFT%20Comparison
>
> Bill
>
> MESA COMPARED TO FOURIER TRANSFORMS:
>
> FFT is the acronym for Fast Fourier Transform. FFT is a computer
algorithm to perform the Fourier Transforms rapidly. The correct use
of Fourier Transforms is subject to several constraints. First, the
data must be stationary (non-shifting) over the observation period.
Secondly, an integer number of cycles must be used in the analysis.
The Nyquist theory of sampled data systems states that there must be
at least two samples per cycle. These constraints pose a dilemma for
analysis of price data.

> For example, if we have data consisting of 64 points (64 days in
the market), the longest cycle we can measure is 64 days. The next
longest cycle is 64/2=32 days. The next longest available cycle is
64/3=21.3 days. The next cycle is 64/4=16 days, etc. The 64 day data
simply does not provide good resolution to identify the cycles
because there is a 5 day gap between measured results right in the
most active cycle region. The only way to increase resolution is to
increase the data length. However, if the data length is increased
there is a significantly lower probability that the cycle has not
shifted over the entire data length. In fact, it is downright
unlikely.

> Thus the use of FFTs for trading is not advisable. MESA2002
accurately extracts short term cycles using an adaptive short data
length, and therefore MESA2002 should be your cycle measurement
method.

approximation.
>   >   The sample was 921 bars of the Nikkei C1=MA(RSI(50),100); and
the
>   FFT
>   >   analysis was executed in DaDisp_SE2000.
>   >   Any suggestion to make my analysis faster would improve the
>   >   sinusoidal approximation and would give an interesting T/A
tool
>   >   Dimitris Tsokakis
>   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stephane Carrasset"
>   >   <s.carrasset@xxxx> wrote:
>   >   > Dimitri, Perhaps I'll try to translate it in c++ (this WE)
>   get
>   >   it faster...
>   >   > But as I see you turn to be a master in looping
>   >   > I think you must have a look to c++ programming with ADK
>   because
>   >   there is a math world that I would like to explore ( Adaptive
>   >   simulated annealing) http://www.ingber.com
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   > stephane