[amibroker] Free Canadian historical data? Yahoo is limited...

Hi Steve:
Excellent analysis and very well written
note.  This will tip me over the side to go for a trial.  I would
suppose that have
to create a separate data base for the QP3, and
have you found the mutual fund data to
be "solid"?   Thanks.

IMHO
This is almost not appropriate for the forum but
here goes -  I noticed in the last few months in Houston, quite
an increase in
tempo of the TC2000 marketing <FONT
face=Arial size=2>including a series of regional organizational meetings
suponsed by Worden Bros(TC2000) based
 on their huge
mailing list and large customer
base.
 I was also wondering where
the competitive pressure was coming from, thinking that AB was too small
make an impact on their data business. But if QP is
supplying AB on the CD, then I think that may be it. To
get competitive in graphics, fundamental data, and
programming language the TC2000 product it would need a complete
rewrite
 including a reorganization of the data;
number of fields, how compressed and stored, delivery, access,
basically turning over
years worth of investment in their current
approach.
I would bet they're using the forums, messaging,
and real time data to try to differentiate themselves, of course at a
price.  The local regional
organizations are aimed at generating and keeping a
loyal customer base.

JOE  L.

market indicators (TCNet is their RT product and costs a lot more, I
thinkaround $70/mo). You also get a couple of Worden proprietary indicators
whichAB's TC2K plugin can read directly. Their programming language is
VERYminimal, almost useless compared to AB, but I assume you will probably
justuse it for the data and do your analysis in AB. Dialy update of data is
veryfast, probably about 15-20 seconds if you dont bother to update
yourindicators, scans, etc.in TC2K itself.The new QP3 is $32/mo. You
*might* still be able to get the old QP2 for$25/mo, you would have to
contact them and ask. The basic difference is thatQP3 includes Stock Picker
Pro while QP2 includes HGS Warehouse. Both areprospecting tools. QP says
that SPP is better, I have never tried it so Illcant say, but I was happy
with HGSW for the little bit that I used it.Otherwise, with both versions,
you get EOD stock data, fund data, and moreindices. You also get a fair
amount of fundamantal data, most of which isonly updated weekly, and has no
history but I know that people do save thisdata and accumulate a history
over time - maybe someone can backfill it foryou. Downside - you also get
about 3 or 4 thousand outdated tickers to roundout your database, which is a
little annoying but not really a problem - myfilters include a line that
filters out the non-current tickers. QP takes alittle longer to do the daily
download (a couple of minutes), but in thelong run you will save time
because AB runs noticably faster with QP datathan with TC2K data - I think
the reason is that QP has written a faster API(C++ vs. Visual Basic). AB's
QP plugin can read a lot of the fundamentalsdirectly - see the GetExtraData
function in the AB help files for details.Qp's native programming lanuage is
much more thorough than TC2K's, but youwill probably find yourself mostly
using AB/AFL anyway.Re quality, I havent really tried to compare them. I
would say that both arepretty good in general. I havent noticed many errors
on a daily basis, butif you run AB's database purify tool over either
database you will come upwith a pretty long list of errors.Bottom
line, IMO - QP is a better value for what you get, and runs, on avg,probably
about 30 - 40% faster in AB. On balance, I would go with QP unless,like me,
you are able to maximize the value of TC2K by feeding it into 2 or3
programs. Hope this helps!Steve----- Original Message -----
From: "Salil V Gangal" <salil_gangal@xxxxxxxxx>To:
<amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 6:46
PMSubject: [amibroker] AmiBroker - Data Source QP2 vs TC2000>
Friends,>> AmiBroker recommends QP2> (<A
href="">http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_quotes.html)
for the data source,> but not TC2000.  I've found that the price of
data at QP2 is more and> TC2000 is less.>> Want to find
out, what it is about the QP2 that makes> it 'recommended' for AmiBroker
usage ?>> Any feedback about the data quality of either QP2 /
TC2000 and their> compatilbility/usage with AmiBroker ?>>
For those who have used both of these with AmiBroker, any comments />
inputs / feedback ?>> Regards,> - Salil V
Gangal>>>>> Send BUG REPORTS to
bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
group FAQ at: <A