color=#0000ff size=2>d

  From: john gibb [mailto:jgibb1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 11:32 PMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker] Re : volatility
  indicators to help with option trading
  Hi d,Try:<A
  href="">http://www.ivolatility.com/help/<A
  href="">http://optionetics.com/education/adv_concept.aspand
  here is a good summary from Len Yates of OptionVue
  Systems:<clip>Volatility vs. PriceIn stocks, volatility
  increases as stock prices decline, and volatilitydeclines as stock prices
  increase.The reason volatility increases as stocks decline is
  presumably becausefalling stock prices mean deteriorating business
  conditions, anddeteriorating business conditions means higher risk from
  worsenedvisibility. This leads to greater daily price fluctuations (on a
  percentagebasis) and thus, greater volatility.On the other hand,
  as stock prices climb, this implies improving businessconditions and
  greater stability. Thus stocks exhibit smaller daily pricefluctuations,
  i.e. lower volatility.Would logic dictate that the converse be true?
  Does a period of lowvolatility presage a drop in stock prices? While logic
  would not dictatethis (it is false logic to assume the converse is true),
  it turns out fromhistorical observation that this is often the case. Does
  extremely highvolatility mark the bottom of a bear market? Again, very
  often it does.When volatility is high, for example, you know that the
  bottom is near. Whenvolatility is low, one must be on guard for a
  potential breakdown. Anotherthing is that this should make us want to buy
  options at market tops andsell options at market bottoms.When
  volatility is low, we can watch for signs of a breakdown and go shortby
  buying puts. One of the most reliable signals of a breakdown is when
  themarket begins to fall off the right shoulder of a
  head-and-shouldersformation. The best strategy to use would probably be to
  buy puts, asoptions are cheap when volatility is low. If a sell-off
  ensues, the optionsexpand from the double effect of falling prices and
  (very likely) increasingvolatility.To get more of a bang from a
  possible volatility increase, one could buyfarther out options, as farther
  out options expand more when volatilityincreases. Of course, buying
  farther out options costs more money, and theywill respond more slowly to
  falling prices. However, as a lower riskposition, especially when compared
  with the "fast lane" nearby options, thismay be appropriate. It is
  important for the trader to take appropriate risksaccording to his own
  goals and temperament.Once prices begin to fall, and the options
  become expensive, if one stillwanted to buy puts to play for further
  downside, he could switch to buyingdeep in-the-money nearby's to avoid
  paying extra for the newly inflated timepremiums.When volatility
  is high, and prices are showing signs of bottoming (i.e. thechart is
  showing a double bottom formation), this would suggest going longby
  selling naked puts, as options are expensive when volatility is high. Ifa
  rally materializes, the options die from both rising prices and
  fallingvolatility.However, selling naked puts in the face of a
  down-trending market that youbelieve is about to reverse to the upside is
  rather like standing on thetracks in front of an oncoming train and
  shouting "halt!" It might work, butit's kind of scary. To reduce the
  stress to acceptable levels, one cansimply use a small position, but then
  you don't make much money when you'reright. Another approach is to use a
  credit spread. While a credit spreadwould not respond to declining
  volatility nearly as well, it does limit yourrisk. And finally, there is
  covered writing and covered combo's (a coveredwrite plus naked puts), both
  excellent strategies that put the odds in yourfavor by selling expensive
  options.In practice, I have found the buying of puts at the start of a
  breakdown isfar more rewarding than the selling of options (naked or
  covered) at asuspected bottom. Long puts expand dramatically during a
  market sell-off. Ata suspected bottom, sometimes I feel more comfortable
  just buying a few ofmy favorite stocks. If I feel strongly about my
  timing, I might even load upwith extra shares "on margin" for a short
  time. Despite what they say aboutthe risks of buying stock on margin, it
  can be less risky to do that thansome of the options strategies you might
  employ at that juncture.<clip>-john----- Original
  Message ----- From: dingoTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSent:
  Thursday, April 01, 2004 5:26 PMSubject: RE: [amibroker] Re : volatility
  indicators to help with optiontradingGot any references on
  where I can learn more (especially how to determine"undervalue" and
  volitility)?TIA,dFrom: Arthur Sawilejskij
  [mailto:arthur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 6:31
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker] Re :
  volatility indicators to help with optiontradingOptions
  trading can be risky and volatile - but if you get a handle on it -the
  returns and lifestyle are terrific.Option pricing and profitability is
  based on the implied volatility -generally in line with the short term
  volatility of the stock - but subjectto short term fluctuations in implied
  volatility and price - meaning thatat times options are overpriced or
  underpriced in relation to their impliedvolatility and short and long term
  historical volatilities.While at any time during their term options
  may be overpriced orunderpriced - over the life of the option it will move
  towards it's fairvalue.So, setting aside directional
  considerations for the moment - if you buy anunderpriced option - you can
  expect it to appreciate naturally with thepassage of time (ignore time
  decay effects).Also, the short term historical volatility of a stock
  tends to oscillate ormove or meander around it's long term historical
  volatility levels.So, the ideal setup is to buy undervalued options
  whose short termhistorical volatility is below the long term historical
  volatility level.The natural tendency of volatility and implied
  volatility to revert to themean works in your favor - considerably
  compounding any directional benefityou get from the highly leveraged
  trade.If the options were overpriced and/or the short term historical
  volatilitywas greater than the long term historical volatility - the trade
  may not befavorable for buying a call, for example, but you could take
  advantage ofthe pricing disparity by selling puts instead - so that any
  probablysubsequent drop in volatility would directly benefit your sold
  position.The converse - if you had of bought the calls in such an
  unfavorableenvironment - and price of the stabilized or only increased
  moderately andvolatility came off - you would be facing a loss,
  notwithstanding that youhad the direction right.Volatility is the
  most important consideration in options trading - and inthe usa - with
  higher liquidity and greater volatility - you don't evenhave to trade
  direction - you just trade volatility - generally in spreadsor
  combinations or adopt a delta neutral
  strategy.Bundy:>Could you explain how you use these
  volatility curves? What sort of>pattern/crossing would tempt you to buy
  an option, for
  example?>>Thanks,>>Steve>----- Original
  Message ----->From: <mailto:arthur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Arthur
  Sawilejskij>To:
  <mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent:
  Thursday, April 01, 2004 1:46 PM>Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re :
  volatility indicators to help with
  option>trading>>>> >Hi, I am currently
  trade option> >I am using the following volatility comparing short
  term and long> >term volality to time when to buy and sell
  options.> >> >pds1=30;//Set your time period>
  >pds2=200;//Set your time period> >Graph0 =
  StDev(log(C/Ref(C,-1)),pds1)*sqrt(365)*100;> >Graph1 =
  StDev(log(C/Ref(C,-1)),pds2)*sqrt(365)*100;> >> >Does
  anyone has better indicator that they use to compare short/long>
  >term volatility?> >> >Cheers> >>
  >Henry>>I trade options in Australia as
  well.>>I use the following for the
  volatility>>>>>>GraphXSpace=10;>>Plot(StDev(log(C/Ref(C,-1)),20)
  * sqrt(260)*100, "20 days",>colorRed,
  styleThick);>>Plot(StDev(log(C/Ref(C,-1)),30) * sqrt(260)*100,
  "30 days",>colorBrightGreen,
  styleThick);>>>Plot(StDev(log(C/Ref(C,-1)),90) *
  sqrt(260)*100, "90 days",>colorYellow,
  styleThick);>>>>I use 20 and 30 days to compare
  short term as my option trades are usually>in options that have 4 to 6
  weeks till expiry - 20 to 30 days.>>I compare that to the 90 -
  which is what you want for HV.>>One further point - we have 260
  trading days in the year - hence my 260>compared to your 365
  days.>>I think you will find if you use my figures you will get
  HV measures that>accord with the official ones you get from the ASX -
  the HV values you>calculate would be way off and not much help in
  working out if your>shares/options are overvalued,
  etc.>>Been using the setup successfully for ages - great help
  for option trading>and keeps me out of trades where volatility shifts
  might kill the
  trade.>>Bundy>>>>>>>>>>Send
  AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(Web page: <A
  group FAQ at:<A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.htmlSend
  AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(Web page: <A
  group FAQ at:<A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.htmlYahoo!
  Groups LinksTo visit your group on the web, go to:<A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/To
  to:amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour use of Yahoo! Groups
  is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.Send
  group FAQ at: <A