Re: [amibroker] Re : volatility indicators to help with option trading

Hi Salil,

I believe that TJ has an agreement with QP - they include unregistered
version of AB on the CD's they distribute.

As for comparson, I have used both, and would prefer QP except for the fact
that I own a couple of other TA programs which will also read TC2K data but
not QP.

For $30/month, TC2K will give you EOD stock data plus a few indices and
market indicators (TCNet is their RT product and costs a lot more, I think
around $70/mo). You also get a couple of Worden proprietary indicators which
AB's TC2K plugin can read directly. Their programming language is VERY
minimal, almost useless compared to AB, but I assume you will probably just
use it for the data and do your analysis in AB. Dialy update of data is very
fast, probably about 15-20 seconds if you dont bother to update your
indicators, scans, etc.in TC2K itself.

The new QP3 is $32/mo. You *might* still be able to get the old QP2 for
$25/mo, you would have to contact them and ask. The basic difference is that
QP3 includes Stock Picker Pro while QP2 includes HGS Warehouse. Both are
prospecting tools. QP says that SPP is better, I have never tried it so I
cant say, but I was happy with HGSW for the little bit that I used it.
Otherwise, with both versions, you get EOD stock data, fund data, and more
indices. You also get a fair amount of fundamantal data, most of which is
only updated weekly, and has no history but I know that people do save this
data and accumulate a history over time - maybe someone can backfill it for
you. Downside - you also get about 3 or 4 thousand outdated tickers to round
out your database, which is a little annoying but not really a problem - my
filters include a line that filters out the non-current tickers. QP takes a
little longer to do the daily download (a couple of minutes), but in the
long run you will save time because AB runs noticably faster with QP data
than with TC2K data - I think the reason is that QP has written a faster API
(C++ vs. Visual Basic). AB's QP plugin can read a lot of the fundamentals
directly - see the GetExtraData function in the AB help files for details.
Qp's native programming lanuage is much more thorough than TC2K's, but you
will probably find yourself mostly using AB/AFL anyway.

Re quality, I havent really tried to compare them. I would say that both are
pretty good in general. I havent noticed many errors on a daily basis, but
if you run AB's database purify tool over either database you will come up
with a pretty long list of errors.

Bottom line, IMO - QP is a better value for what you get, and runs, on avg,
probably about 30 - 40% faster in AB. On balance, I would go with QP unless,
like me, you are able to maximize the value of TC2K by feeding it into 2 or
3 programs. Hope this helps!

Steve