Since Dingo's pulchritude does not extend to his ability to run user
groups, and since I am ugly but have founded a FT group and still run
it after ten years I'll respond.

#1 Should the meetings be  monthly, or twice monthly, or every two
weeks? ***********If you are going to run the group, and lead the
meetings, you have to decide that for yourself.  Even monthly can
become a drag after a while.  If you are a good organizer and can get
together a team, go for more often and share the workload.  If not, go
for monthly.

#2 Should the meetings last for 1 hour, 1 and 1/2 hours, or 2 hours?
*******Partly this depends on how good you are at running meetings. I
seem to be good at coming in with a limited agenda and being able to
lead the meeting.  We go for 2.5 hours in our Boston group.  My format
is loose, and I give people their heads   As leader, I try to keep it
on track but otherwise don't direct too much.  In one hour, you won't
go very deeply.

#3 Should the Meeting Place time limit allow for subgroups to meet
after the main meeting? ********If you are the leader, how much of a
glutton for punishment are you.  And, do you have people who can and
will lead sub-groups.

#3 Should the meetings be on Saturday mornings, or on a weekday
night?*************If you are leading, that is your decision.  When do
you want to be out of the house?  If you don't care, then try to
figure out when more people will attend.

#4 When should a Saturday meeting start, and when should a weekday
night meeting start? ************Early

#5 If we decide to buy a projector, does a $5.00 donation per meeting
sound about right? ***********Nope,  How much are you willing to spend.

You can get a good Modern Epson LCD for $1000. It is equivalent (in
terms of brightness) to the one I paid $5000 for in 98.  Don't get
anything old, it will be soon outmoded.

Take up a collection at the first or second meeting, and knowing how
many people will probably attend, divide $1000 by that number, and ask
for it.

When the Boston Computer Society crashed, we went out on our own.  By
that time I had been group leader for years, so had a track record.

We decided to buy our equipement, LCD &Overhead projectors, and
screen, to be independent, and I figured we needed about $50 each to
pay for half of it, and collect the rest over a year.

The group refused.  And upped the Number to $100.

We now collect $75 dues and initiation fee from all new members, but
pay no rent, we meet at MIT with free room and a free projector. etc.

And appoint a treasurer,  do not touch the money yourself.  The group
pays my fees for FT and TC2K data and that's it.

#6 I imagine that some of us are competent enough to present an
initial Amibroker overview. If none of us have the necessary skills to
do an overview presentation, then lets all try to identify someone who
we can ask to do an overview presentation. *************You are going
to grow together.  There are a number of AB people in Dallas, work
together.

Be good

Richard Boroff

Later Ron D