[amibroker] how to plot "price by volume" indicator

--- Dave Merrill <dmerrill@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> b, thanks very much for your full and complete answer.

Dave,

You are welcome.

You also asked about what a regular daily download/update
is like. It is fairly simple.

If AB is running when UA does it daily download, UA will
automatically send the update data to AB as a series of CSV
files that AB automatically imports. (This assumes one has
already enabled UA's distribution #3 - the one for AB.) AB
will put the data it receives from UA into whatever
database is open in AB at the time, so one needs to make
sure it is open to the one you want.

Here is what I do.

About 8 PM each night, I open AB. Then I open UA. I select
Database/Update Database from UA's menu. I leave the
defaults as is and just click on the Run button. I go away
and come back 15 minutes later and everything is finished
with the new data in AB. To be sure that AB has written the
updates to the hard drive, I click on AB's save icon.

That's all there is to it. About 5 mouse clicks and 15
minutes of unattended work by the computer.

If I want a longer history export such as 250 days (to
catch any corrections CSI may have made to data for
previous days, or to create a new database in AB), I would
let UA do its regular download. Then open
Preferences/Account/Distribution3 from the UA menu and then
click on "Export history with next download". That will
force UA to export the number of bars in the "days of
history" box. Then I would tell UA to do a "Manual Database
Distribute" (on the Database menu).

Of course, I would have AB open to whatever database I
wanted before clicking on the "Run" button in UA.

It takes UA and AB about 8 minutes to export and import 250
bars of data for all the US stocks and indexes. I use a 250
day database for "trading" purposes. That one gets updated
daily.

To create a "research" database, I would do a Manual
Database Distribute, but set the number of days to export
to 2,500 (about 10 years worth which is the standard CSI
subscription) or 3,250 in my case since I have paid for an
extra 3 years of data. This distribution will take longer -
a bit more than 1 hour on my computer - I do not have the
precise time, because I just set it to run and come back
after doing something else like going to dinner.

Personally I would only update my research database once
every 2 to 8 weeks (just after a market wave or cycle is
complete as defined by my primarily marketing timing
signal). For reasons stated in an earlier post, I would not
update an existing research database, but would have AB
create a new, blank one and then have UA send its
distribution to AB to put into that new one.

These times are approximate and milage will vary depending
on hard disk speed and CPU speed.

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools