[amibroker] Re: dividend (more on the subject)

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Mark,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
That's
actually the problem.   You'll "never" get stopped out in live
trading, but your system doesn't know about dividends when it is
backtesting.  It only knows about a fall in price.  It can
distort indicators, trigger stops or just about any other possibility over a
backtest window.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
agree that we are talking small problems.   But, when backtesting a
small number of trades, even one can distort the results.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: quanttrader714
  [mailto:quanttrader714@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004
  6:15 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Re: dividend (more on the subject)b,Did you
  see my post to Chuck?  The dividend yield numbers that I citedwere
  *per annum*.  Not to mention that if you have an actual trade
  on,you'll *never* be stopped out due to a dividend adjustment because
  (inthe U.S. at least) your stops will be *automatically* adjusted.
  In mytrading, this "issue" has been a non-issue.--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, b <b519b@xxxx> wrote:> --- Chuck
  Rademacher <chuck_rademacher@xxxx> wrote:> > As I mentioned in
  one of my earlier posts, there aren't enough ABusers who> >
  appreciate the problem and are prepared to do the work toeliminate
  it.> > Conclusion:> > Perhaps it is based on my
  own limited experience, but I am moreconcerned about> removing bias
  caused by survivorship (ignoring inactives) and bysplits (using>
  adjusted prices in filters and ranking formulas). > > My
  (untested) hypothesis is that, in most cases, including/excludingdividends
  may> make a difference, but not enough of one to make a good system
  lookbad (or a bad> system look good). It might, however, affect
  results enough to leadone to pick a> good system over a better
  system. > > Thus, ideally, one would like to use data that
  includes dividends. Iwill explore> what form that data might take
  in another post.> > Detailed Reasoning:> > What
  follows is a bit of thinking out loud to clarify my ownunderstanding. It
  might> also help others get a handle on the issue. Here is my expanded
  listof possible> problems that might arise for long (and short)
  systems using datathat ignores> dividends:> > 1.
  Entry problems for long systems: if the system buys beaten downstocks, a
  large> 30% to 50% dividend could drop the price enough to get a false
  buysignal. Probable> result: likely only a loss of opprotunity
  (could have had money inanother stock)> since the stock is no more
  likely to drop further than it is to rise. > > 2. Exit problems
  for long systems: a large dividend and theresulting price drop>
  would likely trigger an early exit. Probable result: an early exitwith a
  profit,> and perhaps an opportunity cost if the stock goes up after
  thedividend payout.> > 3. Exit problems for long systems: a
  medium dividend (%2-4%) mightalso trigger stop> loss exits but only
  if the stock had been doing poorly to begin with(or if the> system
  uses very tight stops). Probable result: loss or opportunityand
  the> slippage/commission cost to enter a new trade to replace the
  stoppedout one.> > 4. Profit calculations for long systems:
  Ignoring dividends wouldeither not affect> profit calculations (if
  there were no dividends during the holdingperiod) or would>
  underestimate profits (because adding the dividends in wouldincrease the
  gain).> > 5. Profit calculations for long systems with
  multi-year holdingperiods (not likely> many such investors are
  reading this board) which happen to mainlypick dividend> stocks
  might so underestimate returns that the system would bediscarded when
  it> might have been kept if the data had included dividends. >
  > 6. Short systems might have bigger problems with dividends:
  Ignoringdividends in> testing could underestimate profits since any
  price drops related todividend> payments would be illusionary. Also
  a short system that enters ondownside breakouts> could get, form
  time to time, a false entry signal.  > > b> >

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.