RE: [amibroker] Re: Exrem - Buy Only

<SPAN
class=487502012-14122003>Yes, of course, you're right. Even if the backtester
removes redundant signals before atually trading, if your code needs to know
when the last entry happened, or the BuyPrice at that time, etc., you need to
remove them yourself before looking for those kinds of
infos.
<SPAN
class=487502012-14122003>
<SPAN
class=487502012-14122003>Dave
<BLOCKQUOTE

  The one main area
  where the additional buy signals cause a problem is when your sell is related
  to the buy signal either by time or price. The sell will recognise the
  additional buy signals and reset its calculation based on that. This can cause
  the sell to move further out, or in event of applystop could bring it
  sooner, than would otherwise be the case. This would make your
  backtesting produce unreal results. Of course this would not be the case if
  you use the additional buy signals within your trade
  plan.
  <FONT face="Courier New"
  color=#0000ff>
  <SPAN
  class=487502012-14122003> Cheers,Graham<A
  href=""><FONT
  size=2>http://groups.msn.com/asxsharetrading<A
  href=""><FONT
  size=2>http://groups.msn.com/fmsaustralia

    <FONT
    face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Dave Merrill
    [mailto:dmerrill@xxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, 14 December 2003 8:03
    PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
    [amibroker] Re: Exrem - Buy Only
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>Are you saying that you've actually seen the
    backtester take more than one consecutive buy or sell on the same stock in a
    row, without an intervening opposite signal?!? I haven't, ever. I suppose
    it's possible I didn't notice a rare exception, but I bet someone would
    have.
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>Or maybe you've seen the backtester take a signal
    other than the first of consecutive signals in the same direction? That I'm
    less certain I haven't seen, but I am quite sure I'd call that a bug. Is
    that not so? Can you point me to somewhere in the docs or something Tomasz
    has said that indicates otherwise? Where ExRem-ing trade signals is
    said to be *required* for proper operation? I'd think that would be an
    important piece of info to mention, say, in the docs for
    ExRem.
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>One piece of evidence that the backtester does
    this, and is supposed to, is in the docs for the Equity function, describing
    the behavior of Flag (1st parameter) value 1:
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>
    <FONT
    face="Courier New">"works as 0 but additionally
    updates buy/sell/short/cover arrays so all
    redundant signals are removed <FONT
    color=#ff0000>exactly as it is done internally by the
    backtester plus all exits by stops are applied so it is
    now possible to visualise ApplyStop()
    stops."
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>
    <SPAN
    class=954244711-14122003>Dave
    <BLOCKQUOTE
    ><which
      the backtester does automatically anyway>Dave,I'm
      pretty sure that the backtester does NOT automatically do as you
      say.I've spent quite a lot of time working with the backtester,
      anddetermined that I *ALWAYS* need to perform the ExRem functions
      myselfin order to have absolute control over the last Buy, Sell, Short
      &Cover signals.Whether I'm right or wrong, by taking
      absolute control over thesesignals, there is no question about the
      sequence of events related tothese
      signals.Regards,Phsst