Re: [amibroker] Cannot download from Yahoo

Anthony,

> "BTW: Yahoo works fine for me all the time... "
>
> How many symbols are you downloading using Historical download ?

Everyday I get 250 symbols, from time to time 1000 symbols.
I am doing this for testing if Yahoo is down or not becuase for my own purposes
I have plenty of other data, since
currently I have the following subscriptions active:
Quotes Plus (EOD stocks + funds + commodities), eSignal (RT 500 symbols),
IQFeed (RT 500 symbols), myTrack (RT 200 symbols)

> What are your settings for Historical Download...If it is what you posted in
> the past ( to compensate for Yahoo problems ) ...then to download over 8000
> tickers using Historical and trying to gather any significant number of
> Days, weeks, Months, Years..of Data on a Dial up Modem.....the time is
> unbearable....

Historical: 2 simultaneous downloads, 100 ms between requests, 3 retries, 3 sec timeout.

> What is your computer Hookup ?.....Cable ? DSL? Modem ?
ADSL 512kbps.

I understand that you may go into trouble trying to download thousands
of symbols from Yahoo recently since Yahoo simply blocks IPs that get too much.

I understand Yahoo actions in that that the bandwidth costs (not mentioning the data)
and they are little resistant to give everything for free. What I don't understand
is WHY won't they just start charging say $5 per month and deliver the same what the deliver
now for free but WITHOUT blocking people downloading more than few hundreds
 of symbols. This would be affordable and everyone would benefit (Yahoo would earn
some money and people would get reliable source)

Currently, if you need to track all US exchanges AND you have a modem AND you
do not want to have headache I recommend Quotes Plus. Quotes Plus integrates
with AB seamlessly. If you do not want to spend
$30 per month for the data you can get ASCII data from MSOdata http://www.msodata.com/
($15 per month)

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko