RE: [amibroker] Ignorant questions about parameter persistence

See
Below...Regards,William Peters<A
href="">www.amitools.com
-----Original Message-----From: Dave Merrill [<A
href="">mailto:dmerrill@xxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday
December 9, 2003 7:24 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
[amibroker] Ignorant questions about parameter persistence>I hate
to ask all this, but I couldn't find a definite statement in the
docs>(not that there isn't one).>Are settings you make in the
Parameters window saved between AB launches?
Yes they are.
>The docs say that broker.params contains some kind of persistent
parameter>information, but I'm not sure exactly and officially what. Mine
is currently>0 bytes, so I don't understand when it is and isn't used, or
for what.
It saves the parameters between sessions for indicators
and AA window.
>Is this persistence the same for indicators and code in the AA
window? Saved>AA window code doesn't include custom parameter settings,
right? When you>load AA window code, all parameters return to their
defaults?
Only currently loaded AA formula param
information persists between session. Savingthe AA formula code to files
doesn't save the param information to broker.params foreach of those
files.>Unlike indicators, AA window parameters don't reset
when you modify the>code, right? So if I copy code from an indicator, a
file, or the web, and>paste it into the AA window, any parameters with
the same displayed name>keep whatever value they were last given in the
AA window Parameters dialog,>even if the code uses them entirely
differently?
AA params are reset when you change the param
name.
>AA window parameter values are independent from parameter settings for
the same code in the indicators>window, even if it's loaded from the same
file? The only way to make certain>the defaults are used in the AA window
is by resetting them all in the AA>window Parameters dialog?
YesThere's no way to have different
parameter settings for the same indicatoron different chart sheets, right,
other than making multiple copies of theindicator itself? Is there any way
for code to tell what chart sheet it'srunning on, if I wanted to code that
myself?
Not without additional coding, you need to save them as
different indicators. You could use the stock code asthe indicator prefix.
I've put in a feature request/suggestion that the indicators in the
builder should be Global and we have an option to insert a clone into a
chart which isthen independant of the Global indicator giving us the ability
to edit it independantly from theGlobal indicator. If your visually
orientated like myself its a must that all indicators be left how they were
and this process is made to be very easy.The alternative is the write
code for this. So it depends on whether your indicators change perticker or
chart or ? this to me would be difficult to maintain because sometime you might
want tochange more than a parameter in the indicator. Having the ability to
insert a clone into a chartwould give you the template from which you could
modify to suit the ticker/chart/layout.Going a little further it would
be really nice to have the ability to link a ticker to a layout.<FONT
color=#0000ff><FONT
color=#0000ff>GetChartID()<FONT
color=#000000>

Regards,William Peters<A