RE: [amibroker] RE: Import Industry Assignments

To help a bit, here are 2
files that must be set up first in the AB root directory. These classifications
are for the S&PASX, plus my own for indexes

<FONT
face=Arial>Broker.industries

0 Classification
pending1 Energy2 Materials3 Capital
Goods3 Commercial Services &
Supplies3 Transportation4 Automobile &
Components4 Consumer Durables & Apparel4 Hotels
Restaurants & Leisure4 Media4 Retailing5 Food
& Drug Retailing5 Food Beverage & Tobacco5 Household
& Personal Products6 Health Care Equipment &
Services6 Pharmaceuticals &
Biotechnology7 Insurance7 Banks7 Diversified
Financials7 Property Trusts7 Real Estate8 Software
& Services8 Technology hardware &
Equipment9 Telecommunication
Services10 Utilities11 Index12 GICS Sector Code Not
Applicable

Next is the Broker.Sectors
file

Classification
pendingEnergyMaterialsIndustrialsConsumer
DiscretionaryConsumer StaplesHealth CareFinancialsInformation
TechnologyTelecommunicationUtilitiesIndexGICS
NA

I use a spreadsheet I set
up to download the stoccks list from the ASX website and convert the
following

from the csv file ex
ASX

ABSOLUTE RETURN FUND
(THE),AAB,GICS Sector Code Not ApplicableAUSTRALIAN AGRICULTURAL COMPANY
LIMITED,AAC,Food Beverage & TobaccoALCOA
INC,AAI,Materials
to my csv file for
imp[orting to AB

AAB,Absolute Return Fund
(The),26AAC,Australian Agricultural Company Limited,12AAI,Alcoa
Inc,2

Hope this helps, if anyone
wants the excel spreadsheet I use, let me know and I can email separately. I
paste from ASX site, sort, remove commas and paste to the csv file for AB. Comes
complete with one click url for the required asx data in the
spreadsheet.

Might also just add that
after doing the sector/industry bit check the industries as I found some were
placed in wrong groups wihtin the right sector.
Cheers,Graham<A
href="">http://groups.msn.com/asxsharetrading<A
href="">http://groups.msn.com/fmsaustralia

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Ross Gillies
  [mailto:gilliesr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 8 December 2003 4:54
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] RE:
  Import Industry Assignments

  <SPAN lang=EN-US
  >Hello
  All,
  <SPAN lang=EN-US

  <SPAN lang=EN-US
  >Possibly
  Graham might be best to reply to this.

  <SPAN lang=EN-US

  <SPAN lang=EN-US
  am on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.
  I have been using Amibroker for a couple of years.<SPAN
  >  My database is a mess but I get by
  with F3 and watch lists.  Clearly
  I am not using it as I should.
  The problem may have started on Day 1 when I used Import Wizard and
  everything went to Group 255.
  Since then I have attempted to construct some semblance of organisation
  manually by renaming Groups and Sectors but I am unsure of what to do after
  the S&P change (which I found painful when the previous sector quotes
  disappeared).
  <SPAN lang=EN-US

  <SPAN lang=EN-US
  am about to go to 4.50 and would like to be more oraganised and have a better
  understanding.
  <SPAN lang=EN-US

  <SPAN lang=EN-US
  followed what haveyhp did and the suggestions in Newsletter 04/2000 with no
  avail.  Industry.js ran but
  stumbled over each line.  The
  industry text data I used was :
  <SPAN lang=EN-US

  <P class=MsoNormal
  ><SPAN
  >AAC,Australian
  Agricultural Company Ltd,Misc Industrials,224
  <P class=MsoNormal
  ><SPAN
  ><SPAN
  > AAI,Alcoa Inc (USA CUFS),Divers
  Industrls,231
  <P class=MsoNormal
  ><SPAN
  ><SPAN
  > AAR,Anglo Australian Resources
  NL,Gold,12
  <P class=MsoNormal
  ><SPAN
  ><SPAN
  > AAT,Autron Corporation
  Ltd,Telecommunicatns,183
  <SPAN lang=EN-GB
  >etc.
  <SPAN lang=EN-GB

  <SPAN lang=EN-GB
  >This differs from
  Thomasz&#8217; data in that it contains three commas (i.e. 4 fields) instead of
  three and the digit field requires up to 3
  <SPAN lang=EN-GB

  <SPAN lang=EN-GB
  >Thomasz&#8217; sample
  :
  <SPAN lang=EN-GB

  <SPAN
  >BWA,BANK
  OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA LIMITED,3
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >So,
  probably no wonder it rejected every line.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Any
  suggestions both on Industry.js and probably clearing out my manual
  assignments?<SPAN

  <SPAN lang=EN-GB

  Regards,Ross Queensland, AustraliaSend
  group FAQ at: <A