RE: [amibroker] Re: "YOU SPANGLED DRONGO!" ... I think not.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>I prefer to switch to afl, anybody know that
one?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: jtelang
  [mailto:jtelang@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: December 4, 2003 10:49
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  "YOU SPANGLED DRONGO!" ... I think not.Why don't you
  guys just start using real (American) english as your primary tongue
  instead of using such silly slangs? In fact, you might want to go one
  level deeper and go Texan, and all y'all might learn a thing or two about
  the language.I can see the Britons pulling their guns out now...
  :-)Jitu--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gerard_carey"
  <gcfinance@xxxx> wrote:> "Speckled and Noisy" eh?> And
  refering to my post.> > Are you calling me a Drongo?>
  > Now listen here cobber,> MY 'SPANGLED' DRONGO CAN WHIP YOUR
  'SPECKLED' DRONGO ANYDAY> > So there.> > Regds
  Gerard > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham"
  <gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:> > Now you have my curiosity. Being a
  downunder Ozzie I checked my > Ozzie> >
  encyclopaedia.> > > > Speckled Drongo - " and is active
  and noisy - perhaps the reason > for its use> > as a term of
  derision in Australian slang" > > > > Another reference
  suggests the term comes from the name of the > unsuccessful>
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/asxsharetrading>
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/fmsaustralia
  Gerard Carey [mailto:gcfinance@xxxx] > > Sent: Thursday, 4 December
  2003 7:59 AM> > To: AB Yahoo group> > Subject: [amibroker]
  "YOU SPANGLED DRONGO!" ... I think not.> > > > >
  > term> > "Drongo", I would acknowledge the helpful
  contributions from Paul > Chivers> > (53521) and the always
  informative Dimitris, Pass the Rosetta Stone,> > Tsokakis
  (53527) in the "AmiBroker or Metastock ?" thread. > > > >
  I feel however that the waters have been somewhat muddied by the >
  plethora of> > information supplied so it is my intention, indeed my
  duty, as the > original> > user of the term (53511), to
  clarify the situation.> > > > It is my contention that
  Drongo, in the sense that I used it,  is an> > Australia
  slang term used to describe a 'fool', a 'stupid person', a> >
  'simpleton'. > > > > Yes there is indeed a bird called a
  Drongo as confirmed by Paul and> > Dimitris. > > A
  short explananation would, and indeed does, state that the > Spangled
  Drongo> > is found in northern and eastern Australia, as well as in
  the > islands to the> > north of Australia, and further north
  to India and China. It is > called a> > Drongo because that
  is the name of a bird from the same family in > northern> >
  Madagascar. > > > > It has been suggested that the origin
  of the association, by > Austalians, of> > 'stupidity' with
  the term Drongo, comes from the fact that the bird >
  appears> > to migrate to colder regions in winter. I am unable to
  verify > this 'origin> > of association' and who really cares
  about the migratory habits of > the> > aforesaid bird.
  Stuff it I say.> > > > Before attempting to proffer the
  generally held Antipodean theory > regarding> > the
  "Drongo-Stupidity" association I would offer the following >
  fieldwork> > report for your perusal.> > > > In
  eavesdropping on Australians in conversational mode I have not, >
  as yet,> > heard the expression,> > > > "YOU
  SPANGLED DRONGO!" ........used.> > Almost without exception the
  prefered expression is,> > "YOU BLOODY DRONGO!".> >
  > > This expression is delivered in either of two ways;> >
  1. In an agitated manner in a high volume and pitch and often >
  accompanied by> > the agitated waving of hands and threats of
  violence. > > My belief is that this delivery signifies
  anger.> > 2. In an exasperated manner in a low volume and pitch and
  > accompanied by the> > slow shaking of the head from side to
  side. > > My belief is that this delivery signifies frustration.
  nature, finds thats > there was> > an Australian racehorse
  named Drongo (presumably after the > aforesaid bird),> >
  racing during the early 1920s. > > He was a bay horse by Lanius-Lys
  d'Or, and, according to the > Australasian> > Turf Register,
  he had 5 starts in 923, 15 starts in 1924, and 17 > starts in>
  > 1925.> > > > In 1924 a writer in the Melbourne Argus
  comments: > > "Drongo is sure to be a very hard horse to beat. He is
  improving > with every> > run". > > In all, Drongo
  competed in 37 races. > > He never did win. > > >
  > Soon after the horse's retirement it seems that racegoers started
  > to apply> > the term to horses that were having similarly
  unlucky careers. It > appears> > that the term gradually
  became more negative, perhaps helped by > Cartoonist> > Sammy
  Wells, then of the Melbourne "Herald", who apparently adopted >
  Drongo> > as a character in his political and sporting cartoons. In
  these > cartoons> > Drongo was the no-hoper in any and every
  situation. and was applied > also to> > people who were
  not so much 'unlucky' as 'hopeless cases' , 'no-> hopers', and>
  > thereafter 'fools'.> > > > I would also note reports
  that in the 1940s it was applied to > recruits in> > the
  Royal Australian Air Force, but the Aussies will only get mad > at us
  if> > we spread that kind of inuendo so we better shut up about it.
  > Forget that> > you read this paragraph.> >
  > > Buzz Kennedy, writing in "The Australian" newspaper in 1977,
  > defines a> > drongo thus: > > "A drongo is a
  simpleton but a complicated one: he is a simpleton > of the>
  > sort who not only falls over his feet but does so at Government >
  House; who> > asks his future mother-in-law to pass "the-magic-word"
  salt the > first time> > the girl asks him home.... In an
  emergency he runs heroically in > the wrong> > direction. If
  he were Superman he would get locked in the telephone > box.
  He> > never wins. So he is a drongo". > > > >
  The origin of the term was revived at the Melbourne racecourse >
  Flemington in> > 1977 when a Drongo Handicap was held. Only
  apprentice jockeys were > allowed> > to ride. The horses
  entered were not allowed to have won a race in > the> >
  previous twelve months.> > > > I DON'T WANT TO LET THE
  TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY BUT, > > As it happens he
  wasn't an absolute no-hoper of a racehorse. > > He ran second in a
  VRC Derby and St Leger, third in the AJC St > Leger, and> >
  fifth in the 1924 Sydney Cup. > > He often came very close to
  winning major races.> > But he never won a race. > >
  > > I guess there's a moral here somewhere?> > If you find
  it let me know,> > > > Regds Gerard> > Ps. I'm
  not an Aussie. I just live here.> > > > -- > >
  http://www.fastmail.fm - IMAP accessible
  web-mail> > > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor ---------------------> ~--> Buy> > Ink
  Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark >
  Printer> > at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US
  & Canada.> > <A
  href="">http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511>
  > <A
  href="">http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GHeqlB/TM>