[amibroker] Re: Plotting ones own equity

Markus

Here is a method I use.  It has a fair amount of manual record
keeping but, in my case, I find it very useful.

1.  Using MSN Money Portfolio function, I enter all trades.  In
addition, it allows me to track the cash in my account.  At
EOD, I now have the current value of the portfolio and the cash
in the account.  (You also can look up the portfolio balance on
a delayed intraday basis if you wish.)

2.   On a daily basis, I enter the total portfolio value and the
cash value into an Excel spreadsheet with headings that match the
format of the AB Quote Editor.  The spreadsheet is saved as a .csv
file.

3.  Daily, I import the data into AB using the import wizard and
a synthetic symbol called ~PORT.

With this data in AB, I plot equity curves, adjust potential new
position sizes according to equity balances and current drawdown
amounts.

In a similar way, I also enter pertinent, imdividual trade data so
that I can plot a graph of each stock with exact position data.

Since the data is called in AB using the foreign function, I get an
automatic last data carryforward.  This means that I do not have to
enter individual trade data into the spreadsheet unless there is a
change, typically an additional purchase of the same stock or
the sale of an existing position.

To facilitate various plotting functions, I also include a code in the
OI field is used to control the plot of shapes, etc.  The code tells
AB if a buy/sell/short/cover event has occurred.

If you would like specific code examples, just ask.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tony

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "IVA GmbH" <funnybiz@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello once again,
>
> I tried to find a way to plot the progress of my portfolio´s
equity
curve.

> Am I correct in my thinking that equity ()) "only" allows to use it
with backtesting at this point (i.e. hypothetical equity)?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511