Re: [amibroker] Re: To Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion !

Hi Louw.

I have no actual pairs trading experience but
wouldn't '100% opposing' be the ideal A-will-outperform-B scenario? Couldn't you
then go long A and short B, with stops of course, once you get a signal that A
is likely to rise?

-john

PS: you might find this article of interest <A
href="">http://www.thestreet.com/comment/openbook/1155546.html
<BLOCKQUOTE

  or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion !

  Thanks JS -
  forgot about that one OOPS !
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff>
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff>Cheers
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff>
  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff>Louw

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: johanskatt
    [mailto:johanskatt@xxxxxxxx]Sent: 23 November 2003 04:29
    PMTo: <A
    href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
    [amibroker] Re: To Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion
    !The Correlation function might be useful.<A
    href="">http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=CORRELATION/JS---
    In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louw-Roux Coetzer"
    <louwcoetzer@xxxx> wrote:> ECM StationaryHi there all
    !> > > > I have tried to think of various
    methods to find a matching Non-Correlating> match for a
    particular shareA ...I thought of doing this by adding the close>
    for shareA  to the shareB and dividing it by 2 to get an average
    price...I> would then use some form of standard deviation to find
    out how much shareB> is deviating from the average - the share
    that deviates the most would then> be the most likely candidate -
    now I am convinced this would not work as it> only suggests that
    shareB is more volatile than anything else...> > >
    > What I am trying to do is to scan a short watch list and to find
    say 2 or 3> pairs ( 2shares/pair).  The 2 shares in each
    pair must be non-correlating to> a certain extent in order to
    lessen risk if both are purchased ( almost like> what Gary was
    talking briefly about in his presentation ).  Obviously the>
    shares in the pair can not be 100% opposing as then no money would
    be> made...My mind is still a bit baffled about this and any
    suggestions and> guidance in the right direction would be greatly
    appreciated...  I am not> asking for an AFL Super Formula on
    a platter...only to be pointed into the> right line appoach...I
    will try to create the code myself ( the only way to> learn I
    believe ) and if stuck will ask for a little push...> >

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    ---->       Louw-Roux Coetzer
    -  louwcoetzer@xxxx>
    >       This e-mail message and all
    documents which accompany it are intended> only for the use of
    the individual or entity to which addressed, and may> contain
    privileged or confidential information.  Any unauthorized
    disclosure> or distribution of this e-mail message is
    prohibited.Send BUG REPORTS to
    bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
    <A
    group FAQ at: <A