RE: [amibroker] Re: To Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion !

Hi John
!
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
I think so
yes, reason being that not one of them will change the same in value... I have
tried it before when I discover a good share in consolidation phase with low
volatility...I would then buy the share via my stockbroker, but the short side I
unfortunately have to do via Spread trading of CDF's for that matter...the
situation here in SA is not the same as with you guys... but they ripped me off
heavily buy adjusting their spreads all the time into both directions...thus no
joy there...
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
So now I'm
out to long the whole lot with my normal stock broker ... but buy balancing the
portfolio with properly selected shares basedon volatility and/or correlation,
it is possible  to smoothen out the equity curve a bit and reduce the
overall volatility of the portfolio in whole... for this a 100% non correlating
option would no go down to well I think...
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
Thanks for
your thoughts it is not wasted as you got me thinking of another plan that I
have not previously thought of...I will let you know as I take it further
!
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
Kind regards
& happy trading !
<FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
Louw
Coetzer

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: john gibb
  [mailto:jgibb1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: 24 November 2003 06:13
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker]
  Re: To Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion
  !
  Hi Louw.

  I have no actual pairs trading experience but
  wouldn't '100% opposing' be the ideal A-will-outperform-B scenario? Couldn't
  you then go long A and short B, with stops of course, once you get a signal
  that A is likely to rise?

  -john

  PS: you might find this article of interest <A
  href="">http://www.thestreet.com/comment/openbook/1155546.html
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion !

    Thanks JS
    - forgot about that one OOPS !
    <FONT face=Arial
    color=#0000ff>
    <FONT face=Arial
    color=#0000ff>Cheers
    <FONT face=Arial
    color=#0000ff>
    <FONT face=Arial
    color=#0000ff>Louw

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: johanskatt
      [mailto:johanskatt@xxxxxxxx]Sent: 23 November 2003 04:29
      PMTo: <A
      href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
      [amibroker] Re: To Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion
      !The Correlation function might be useful.<A
      href="">http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=CORRELATION/JS---
      In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louw-Roux Coetzer"
      <louwcoetzer@xxxx> wrote:> ECM StationaryHi there all
      !> > > > I have tried to think of various
      methods to find a matching Non-Correlating> match for a
      particular shareA ...I thought of doing this by adding the
      close> for shareA  to the shareB and dividing it by 2 to get
      an average price...I> would then use some form of standard
      deviation to find out how much shareB> is deviating from the
      average - the share that deviates the most would then> be the
      most likely candidate - now I am convinced this would not work as
      it> only suggests that shareB is more volatile than anything
      else...> > > > What I am trying to do is to
      scan a short watch list and to find say 2 or 3> pairs (
      2shares/pair).  The 2 shares in each pair must be non-correlating
      to> a certain extent in order to lessen risk if both are purchased
      ( almost like> what Gary was talking briefly about in his
      presentation ).  Obviously the> shares in the pair can not
      be 100% opposing as then no money would be> made...My mind is
      still a bit baffled about this and any suggestions and>
      guidance in the right direction would be greatly appreciated...  I
      am not> asking for an AFL Super Formula on a platter...only to
      be pointed into the> right line appoach...I will try to create
      the code myself ( the only way to> learn I believe ) and if
      stuck will ask for a little push...> > > >
      Kind regards> > > > > > Louw

      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
      ---->       Louw-Roux Coetzer
      -  louwcoetzer@xxxx>
      >       This e-mail message and all
      documents which accompany it are intended> only for the use of
      the individual or entity to which addressed, and may> contain
      privileged or confidential information.  Any unauthorized
      disclosure> or distribution of this e-mail message is
      prohibited.Send BUG REPORTS to
      bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
      <A
      group FAQ at: <A