RE: [amibroker] Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing Signals

Hi Ken –

In my opinion, the “symbol space”
is just one more variable to be searched.

If I look at a moving average crossover
system and test all lengths from 1 to 100 in steps of 1 for each of two moving
averages, I have searched 10000 values.  Some will be profitable, some
not.  Some segments of the space will be stable, some not.
Similarly, if I search 10000 tickers, some will be profitable, some not.
Some groups of tickers (perhaps industry groups) will trade profitably, others
not.  Just as I might be comfortable trading the moving average system if
a parameter set is stable, I might be comfortable trading a subset of the
universe of tickers.  If the subset that appears to trade well is
logically cohesive, I have more confidence than if it consists of a random
collection of company types.

I sometimes do early phase tests on very
small ticker lists, but I run the risk of not recognizing that a system works
on an industry type.  If my test subset of tickers does not include, say, any
money center banks, then I am unlikely to find out that a particular trading system
works well for most money center banks.

I try to keep in mind that selecting only
a small subset of tickers is simply an example of “optimizing over the
symbol space”.

Howard