[amibroker] Re: Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing Signals

Well, IMO, it is absolutely not necessary to test against "all
stocks."  Only a representative sample.  And oh, BTW, the stocks of
some indices are more representative than random samples, not to
mention more tradeable.  I hear you on the looking into the future
argument but that was more applicable before Mar 00.  I don't see a 5
year "major long bias" when I scroll through the ND100 stocks.  But I
do see a lot of bear.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> not chande, don't play him on tv, but here's my take fwiw. IMO, the
> selection of the initial universe to test is the result of another
set of
> filters with another set of parameters that aren't being talked
about at the
> moment, and are just as subject to (over)optimization as anything
else.

> most fixed universes smaller than All Stocks are really hard to
backtest
> reliably without bias, so I don't when I'm testing for real. for
example,
> testing in '98 using the '03 N100 is looking into the future and
selecting
> only stocks that ended up big 5 years later -- a major long bias.
even if
> you have historical N100 membership data, for example, it's hard to
apply it
> on a continuous basis over the life of a test.
>
> so, I often test ideas out on small subsets for speed, but nearly
always
> plan on running against all stocks eventually, and build in the
criteria
> needed to narrow the stocks considered as required. if you do
anything else,
> I'd suggest it needs some careful thought.
>
> dave
>   Dead silence on a question of seemingly high importance means you
have
>   asked a dumb (really dumb) question.  Maybe like letting a loud
fart in
>   church.
>
>   I'll go back to Chande and other sources and try to determine why
my
>   question below was such a dumb one.
>
>   Thanks for taking pity on me and not saying anything.
>
>   Ken

Signals

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511