RE: [amibroker] Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing Signals

<SPAN
class=269361804-19112003>thanks yuki, simple, clean solution for random
subsets.
<SPAN
class=269361804-19112003>
<SPAN
class=269361804-19112003>number of positions vs size of universe is interesting,
different for different systems I've found. if a system finds relatively few
opportunities, more stocks is usually good, since it should raise the exposure
and therefor the return. if it finds lots of entries, some of which are much
better than others, then the quality of your PositionScore matters more and more
as the unverse gets larger. rotational systems are very sensitive to the
numbe of stocks, in a difficult to scale way. the more stocks there are,
the more turnover, sometimes cutting positions short before they get a chance to
develop as intended.
<SPAN
class=269361804-19112003>
<SPAN
class=269361804-19112003>dave
<SPAN
class=269361804-19112003>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  No
  worries, Dave.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  It's
  quite easy, thanks to AB.  I just ran an exploration and assigned
  (addtocolumn) a random number to each stock.   I then sorted the
  stocks by that column and picked off however many stocks I wanted in my
  list.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Yes,
  the results correlate quite nicely, unless the system isn't very
  "robust".   Of course, some systems simply need a lot of stocks in
  order to perform well.   I guess I'm saying the the number of
  positions (PosQty as most of us use) should be adjusted depending on the size
  of the database.  If I expect PosQty to be about 15 for the entire
  universe, then I'll set it to about seven for half the universe and so
  on.
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <SPAN
    class=104414103-19112003>Chuck, not to be lazy, but how did you go about
    creating your random subsets? have you found that results from them
    correlate well to All Stocks?
    <SPAN
    class=104414103-19112003>
    <SPAN
    class=104414103-19112003>dave
    <SPAN
    class=104414103-19112003>
    <BLOCKQUOTE

      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>You and I are certainly singing from the same hymnal.
      Thanks for saying it so succinctly!
      <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
      size=2>
      <FONT
      color=#0000ff>IMO, we should always be backtesting against
      all stocks with all of the filtering going on in the AFL.   Not
      that  there's anything wrong with preliminary testing on a (random)
      subset.   My stock database (that I use with AB) now contains
      17,000 stocks including about 9,000 de-listed stocks.<SPAN
      class=104414103-19112003> I
      have random subsets of that database comprising 2,000, 5,000 and 11,000
      stocks that I use when I'm in a hurry to see some results.<SPAN
      class=104414103-19112003><FONT
      face="Courier New">
      <BLOCKQUOTE

        <FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
        size=2>not chande, don't play him on tv,
        but here's my take fwiw. IMO, the selection of the initial universe to
        test is the result of another set of filters with another set of
        parameters that aren't being talked about at the moment, and are just as
        subject to (over)optimization as anything else.
        <SPAN
        class=579214201-19112003>
        <SPAN
        class=579214201-19112003>most fixed universes smaller than All Stocks
        are really hard to backtest reliably without bias, so I don't when I'm
        testing for real. for example, testing in '98 using the '03 N100 is
        looking into the future and selecting only stocks that ended up big 5
        years later -- a major long bias. even if you have historical N100
        membership data, for example, it's hard to apply it on a continuous
        basis over the life of a test.
        <SPAN
        class=579214201-19112003>
        <SPAN
        class=579214201-19112003>so, I often test ideas out on small subsets for
        speed, but nearly always plan on running against all stocks eventually,
        and build in the criteria needed to narrow the stocks considered as
        required. if you do anything else, I'd suggest it needs some careful
        thought.
        <SPAN
        class=579214201-19112003>
        <SPAN
        class=579214201-19112003>dave
        <BLOCKQUOTE
        >Dead
          silence on a question of seemingly high importance means you
          haveasked a dumb (really dumb) question.  Maybe like letting
          a loud fart inchurch.I'll go back to Chande and other
          sources and try to determine why myquestion below was such a dumb
          one.Thanks for taking pity on me and not saying
          anything.Ken-----Original Message-----From: Ken
          Close [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003
          11:03 AMTo: AmiBroker ListSubject: [amibroker] Optimizing
          Selection Criteria vs Timing SignalsHere is a (perhaps) semi
          philosophical question:We are familiar with the various
          pitfalls and prohibitions in optimizingand "curve-fitting" timing
          systems.Do the same pitfalls and prohibitions exist for
          keeping a constanttiming signal (whatever it is) yet optimizing
          variables that alterbasket selection criteria?  Can you
          "curve fit" a set of selectioncriteria?It "feels" like the
          problems would be different (and perhaps minimized)because of the
          dynamic changes that occur, ESPECIALLY if stop conditionsare
          used.  OTOH, I suppose it would not be different using the
          samecriteria on the same basket of stocks over the same time
          period  as thiswould yield the same baskets of stocks each
          time.  What I mean by thatis that for a given combination of
          criteria, the same stocks would beselected.Hard to
          visualize.Any comments on this
        aspect?Ken