RE: [amibroker] Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing Signals

<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>not chande, don't play him on tv, but here's my take
fwiw. IMO, the selection of the initial universe to test is the result of
another set of filters with another set of parameters that aren't being talked
about at the moment, and are just as subject to (over)optimization as anything
else.
<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>
<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>most fixed universes smaller than All Stocks are really
hard to backtest reliably without bias, so I don't when I'm testing for
real. for example, testing in '98 using the '03 N100 is looking into the
future and selecting only stocks that ended up big 5 years later -- a major long
bias. even if you have historical N100 membership data, for example, it's
hard to apply it on a continuous basis over the life of a
test.
<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>
<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>so, I often test ideas out on small subsets for speed,
but nearly always plan on running against all stocks eventually, and build in
the criteria needed to narrow the stocks considered as required. if you do
anything else, I'd suggest it needs some careful thought.
<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>
<SPAN
class=579214201-19112003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>Dead
  silence on a question of seemingly high importance means you haveasked a
  dumb (really dumb) question.  Maybe like letting a loud fart
  inchurch.I'll go back to Chande and other sources and try to
  determine why myquestion below was such a dumb one.Thanks for
  taking pity on me and not saying anything.Ken-----Original
  Message-----From: Ken Close [mailto:closeks@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday,
  November 18, 2003 11:03 AMTo: AmiBroker ListSubject: [amibroker]
  Optimizing Selection Criteria vs Timing SignalsHere is a (perhaps)
  semi philosophical question:We are familiar with the various pitfalls
  and prohibitions in optimizingand "curve-fitting" timing
  systems.Do the same pitfalls and prohibitions exist for keeping a
  constanttiming signal (whatever it is) yet optimizing variables that
  alterbasket selection criteria?  Can you "curve fit" a set of
  selectioncriteria?It "feels" like the problems would be different
  (and perhaps minimized)because of the dynamic changes that occur,
  ESPECIALLY if stop conditionsare used.  OTOH, I suppose it would not
  be different using the samecriteria on the same basket of stocks over the
  same time period  as thiswould yield the same baskets of stocks each
  time.  What I mean by thatis that for a given combination of
  criteria, the same stocks would beselected.Hard to
  visualize.Any comments on this
aspect?Ken