RE: [amibroker] AmiBroker vs Metastock

If you
want a leg up on programming then I strongly urge you to investigate PowerScan
at http://www.amitools.com/.  At $39
its a great value in terms of learning how to write
formulae.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: David Harrison
  [mailto:opvue2000@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 7:00
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  AmiBroker vs Metastock
  Hi Howard,

  Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your comments are much
  appreciated, and taken to heart. From reading the posts within the user group
  I agree with your observations.

  It is the programming language that I will need help with. Do you think
  the online PDF manual will be sufficient, and /or do you have any other
  readings to recommend.

  Again, thank you for your valuable time.

  David.Howard Bandy <howardbandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:
  <BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq

    <SPAN
    >Hi David
    &#8211;
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >I was a long time
    user of both MetaStock and TradeStation, and have used most of the other
    system development platforms.  My switch from MetaStock to AmiBroker
    was based on many factors.  Here are a few of them:
    <SPAN
    >1.
    MetaStock”Ēs system description language is very cumbersome.  For
    example, having four separate boxes to fill in for long entry, long exit,
    short entry, and short exit.  AmiBroker”Ēs system description language
    is very full-featured and follows good programming language design
    practices.
    <SPAN
    >2.  MetaStock
    has no easy way to extend the language.  AmiBroker can be easily
    extended through use of modules written in C++, <FONT
    face=Arial color=navy size=2><SPAN
    >Delphi<FONT
    face=Arial color=navy size=2><SPAN
    >, or
    Basic.
    <SPAN
    >3.  MetaStock
    gives no control over the objective function used when searching /
    optimizing.  AmiBroker calculates and displays several
    metrics.
    <SPAN
    >4.  MetaStock
    works with a single data stream at a time.  AmiBroker has features that
    not only allow computation of signals on one stream while trading another,
    but allows portfolio rotation among a group of stocks or
    funds.
    <SPAN
    >5.  MetaStock
    technical staff told me, in a telephone conversation, that there would be no
    enhancement to the capabilities of MetaStock for several years.
    AmiBroker is being actively enhanced, and suggestions from users of
    AmiBroker appear in the new versions regularly.
    <SPAN
    >6.  The
    MetaStock discussion groups are pretty stale.  The AmiBroker discussion
    groups are vibrant.  Some very smart people and very experienced
    traders regularly share their ideas.
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >A caution
    though.  You will want to brush up on your programming skills to get
    the most from AmiBroker.
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >Howard
    <SPAN

    <SPAN

    <DIV

    <SPAN
    Message-----From:
    opvue2000 [mailto:opvue2000@xxxxxxxxx] <SPAN
    >Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 10:04
    AMTo:
    amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
    >Subject: [amibroker] AmiBroker vs
    Metastock
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >Hi, <FONT face="Courier New"
    size=2><SPAN
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New">Would any one like to comment on the value of using
    AmiBroker vs Metastock pleaee.
    I certainly prefer the look of AB, but know little <FONT
    face="Courier New">about programming and coding, although I am prepared to
    learn.MS looks more user
    friendly, but I am aware that it is also more of <FONT
    face="Courier New">a heavily marketed product. Meaning they want as much of
    my money as they can
    get.Comments
    appreciated.<FONT
    face="Courier
 New">David.<FONT
    face="Courier New" size=2>Send BUG REPORTS to
    bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
    suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
    face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
    face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
    amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
    page: <A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
    face="Courier New">--------------------------------------------<FONT
    face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A
    <SPAN
    >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
    href="">Yahoo! Terms of
    Service.
    Send BUG REPORTS to
    bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
    <A
    group FAQ at: <A
    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

  Do you Yahoo!?Protect
  your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard Send
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.