RE: [amibroker] AmiBroker vs Metastock

Hi Howard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your comments are much appreciated, and taken to heart. From reading the posts within the user group I agree with your observations.

It is the programming language that I will need help with. Do you think the online PDF manual will be sufficient, and /or do you have any other readings to recommend.

Again, thank you for your valuable time.

David.Howard Bandy <howardbandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi David –

I was a long time user of both MetaStock and TradeStation, and have used most of the other system development platforms.  My switch from MetaStock to AmiBroker was based on many factors.  Here are a few of them:
1.  MetaStock”Ēs system description language is very cumbersome.  For example, having four separate boxes to fill in for long entry, long exit, short entry, and short exit.  AmiBroker”Ēs system description language is very full-featured and follows good programming language design practices.
2.  MetaStock has no easy way to extend the language.  AmiBroker can be easily extended through use of modules written in C++, Delphi, or Basic.
3.  MetaStock gives no control over the objective function used when searching / optimizing.  AmiBroker calculates and displays several metrics.
4.  MetaStock works with a single data stream at a time.  AmiBroker has features that not only allow computation of signals on one stream while trading another, but allows portfolio rotation among a group of stocks or funds.
5.  MetaStock technical staff told me, in a telephone conversation, that there would be no enhancement to the capabilities of MetaStock for several years.  AmiBroker is being actively enhanced, and suggestions from users of AmiBroker appear in the new versions regularly.
6.  The MetaStock discussion groups are pretty stale.  The AmiBroker discussion groups are vibrant.  Some very smart people and very experienced traders regularly share their ideas.

A caution though.  You will want to brush up on your programming skills to get the most from AmiBroker.

Howard

-----Original Message-----From: opvue2000 [mailto:opvue2000@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 10:04 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] AmiBroker vs Metastock

Hi, Would any one like to comment on the value of using AmiBroker vs Metastock pleaee. I certainly prefer the look of AB, but know little about programming and coding, although I am prepared to learn.MS looks more user friendly, but I am aware that it is also more of a heavily marketed product. Meaning they want as much of my money as they can get.Comments appreciated.<FONT face="Courier
 New">David.Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------------------------Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)--------------------------------------------Check group FAQ at: <A
Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------------------------Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)--------------------------------------------Check group FAQ at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
Do you Yahoo!?