[amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post #2

I think "exit" is very important. You don't make anything in the
stockmarket "unless you sell" that's when you get paid.

Entering any stock is the most easiest thing to do for anyone, but
timing the market at the right time is most important.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, uenal.mutlu@xxxx wrote:
> I think your system is a realtime system. I use and I do mean
> signals based on EOD data only (incl. "current" data, but
> of course not realtime). My use of a system (nearly every system
> I used) I do use for entry decision only, and do the exit manually,
> this time using realtime charts and order book data (ie. Level-II),
> but not using any RT quotes for the system. Ie. in realworld
trading
> the system is not used for exit decisions.
>
> In backtests I mainly use "Nbar exit" and I try to apply the same
> to realworld trading. As said, for me the most important part is
the
> right entry time (ok, many will disagree with this statement and
> will say that exit timing is the most important; never mind,
> everyone has his own beliefs. For me the right exit time is of
> course of importance too, but mainly for risk reduction by early
> closing a bad trade). And, usually I'm holding a position max. 1 day
> or _just overnight_ or both (I did my stats... :-)

order will often be placed below the current trading price.  If the
price drops to the level specified in the limit order, I will be
filled.  If the price does not drop to that level, I will not be
filled and I will not participate in that trade.  I will remain flat
and have missed an opportunity.

>   If I am long and get a signal to exit that position, the limit
order will often be placed above the current trading price.  If the
price rises to the level specified in the limit order, I will be
filled and exit the trade.  If the price does not rise to that level,
I will not be filled, and I will remain in a long position.  Any
further price drop, away from the limit level, produces a real loss.
The system, having generated the exit signal, may "think" it is done
and not issue another exit signal.

>   The difference is the lost opportunity if I miss a limit order on
entry versus a real loss and no way to know when to exit if I miss a
limit order on exit.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511