[amibroker] Re: trading backtests in real life

Dave,

It depends on your definition of "manage".  Personally I use AB for
several systems that I trade and I use it in the context of having AB
tell me when signals occur.  However, I do not use it to tell me
whether or not trades actually occured or if they did at what price
etc.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> understood tomasz.
>
> I'm looking into exploring instead of backtesting as a way to manage
> execution. even though takes a bit of juggling on my part, it's more
> flexible in that everything's visible to me, so I can respond on my
own to
> whatever actually happened in real life. I need to semi-manually
look for
> sells that apply to things I actually bought, pick out the top
> PositionScores from among the buys, and figure out my own position
sizes. I
> think it's doable. luckily, this system doesn't use stops, so it
doesn't
> have to know exactly what was really purchased to tell me what it's
doing.

> I hate to ask the obvious question folks, but is anyone actually
trading a
> mechanical system they manage with AB? how do you do it?
>
> dave
>
>   This is one of the reasons why I was reluctant to include
that 'next day
> recommendations' in backtester at all.
>   I was always saying that you have to wait for full featured
account
> manager to handle it.
>   I have been reluctant but still many people pushed 'next day
> recommendation' concept so I added it.
>   Now you are facing the challenge I had in mind writing that you
would need
> full account manager section not just quick hack.
>
>   So again I may repeat what I wrote already a number of times.
This will be
> easy with full account manager implemented.
>
>   Best regards,
>   Tomasz Janeczko
>   amibroker.com

Lion's
> Gate
>         Films,
>         > earlier today said last tick 3.95, bid .01, asked 10, no
major
>         immediate
>         > news I saw. what is that about? optionsXpress' paper
system
>         wouldn't let me
>         > short 2 others.)
>         >
>         > does anyone have any ideas on how to best move forward
from here?
>         the
>         > backtest thinks I'm already in 10 stocks, so unless I get
exit
>         signals
>         > tonight, it won't show me any new buys, and if there are
sells,
>         it'll only
>         > show that number of buys.
>         >
>         > the only thing I could think of to sync things back up
again is
>         funky: hard
>         > code some exceptions, like:
>         >
>         > ticker = Name();
>         > if(ticker == "LGF" or ticker == "CCBL" or ticker
== "TRID") {
>         >   buy = buy and Date() != 1031103
>         > }
>         >
>         > as time goes on, more of these would need to be added
every time
>         something
>         > unpredictable happened on the execution side.
>         >
>         > any other ideas? anyone trading backtests like this?
>         >
>         > dave
>

>         Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>         Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx