RE: [amibroker] Re: trading backtests in real life

<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>understood. do you do this with explorations or
backtests?
<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>
<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>do you use stops? if so, do you try to have AB tell you
when they get hit? I ask because it does need to know what got bought to do
that. for dynamic stops, I'd think you'd need to create exploration columns with
the current stop price, instead of relying on ApplyStop. is that
so?
<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>
<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>thanks,
<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>
<SPAN
class=467250917-05112003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>It
  depends on your definition of "manage".  Personally I use AB for
  several systems that I trade and I use it in the context of having AB
  tell me when signals occur.  However, I do not use it to tell me
  whether or not trades actually occured or if they did at what price
  etc. --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill"
  <dmerrill@xxxx> wrote:> understood tomasz.> >
  I'm looking into exploring instead of backtesting as a way to manage>
  execution. even though takes a bit of juggling on my part, it's more>
  flexible in that everything's visible to me, so I can respond on my own
  to> whatever actually happened in real life. I need to semi-manually
  look for> sells that apply to things I actually bought, pick out
  the top> PositionScores from among the buys, and figure out my own
  position sizes. I> think it's doable. luckily, this system doesn't
  use stops, so it doesn't> have to know exactly what was really
  purchased to tell me what it's doing.> > I hate to ask the
  obvious question folks, but is anyone actually trading a>
  mechanical system they manage with AB? how do you do it?> >
  dave> >   This is one of the reasons why I was
  reluctant to include that 'next day> recommendations' in backtester
  at all.>   I was always saying that you have to wait for full
  featured account> manager to handle it.>   I have
  been reluctant but still many people pushed 'next day> recommendation'
  concept so I added it.>   Now you are facing the challenge I
  had in mind writing that you would need> full account manager
  section not just quick hack.> >   So again I may
  repeat what I wrote already a number of times. This will be> easy
  with full account manager implemented.> >   Best
  regards,>   Tomasz Janeczko>
  amibroker.com>     ----- Original Message
  ----->     From: Dave
  Merrill>     To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     Sent: Wednesday,
  November 05, 2003 12:29 AM>     Subject: RE:
  [amibroker] Re: trading backtests in real life> >
  >     maybe I wasn't clear. I'm using an AB
  backtest to generate signals that,> if things work out, I'll follow
  in real life. as a step in the real-life> direction, I'm first
  paper trading it, but the real issue here is keeping> the backtest,
  ie, the signal generator, in sync enough to generate useful>
  signals, given real-life execution deviations.>
  >     clear as mud?>
  >     dave>
  >       agreed, there will be differences
  between paper trading this strategy> and putting real money on it.
  still, I thought it was another level of> confirmation I'd try
  going through. not something I've tried before.>
  >       but that doesn't have anything to
  do with this actual question (:-).> today's execution weirdness
  could have happened in real life too; that LGF> quote is what I saw
  everywhere, not just in the paper account. I'm happy to> let the
  trade go and live to trade another day, but given the scored> portfolio
  model, my AB backtest is now out of sync with what actually>
  "happened", and that's what i'm trying to fix.>

  dave>         Simulations like
  this are FUN, but IMHO not much like real
  trading.>         I've yet
  to see one that completely emulates the real world
  without>
  introducing a variety of its own short comings.>
  >         --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill"
  <dmerrill@xxxx>>
  wrote:>         > the new
  backtest feature that allows us to see signals for the>
  next>         day is
  a>         > wonderful step
  towards sane real life trading of AA tests.>
  however,>         I
  wonder>         > if anyone
  any ideas on how to handle a real life situation
  that>         came up
  in>         > paper trading
  today.>
  >>         > understand
  that I'm not asking for full portfolio management
  or>         anything,
  or>         > just bitching;
  I know that's coming at some point. I'm just
  trying>         to
  figure>         > out what
  to do now, given the current tools we
  have.>
  >>         > the system
  I'm trying out is a scored non-rotational
  portfolio,>         trading
  10>         > positions max.
  I got 10 entry signals for today, the first day
  of>
  paper>         > trading,
  but couldn't enter 3 of them for various reasons
  that>
  actually>         > could
  happen in real life, I think. (for instance, LGF, Lion's>
  Gate>
  Films,>         > earlier
  today said last tick 3.95, bid .01, asked 10, no
  major>
  immediate>         > news I
  saw. what is that about? optionsXpress' paper
  system>         wouldn't
  let me>         > short 2
  others.)>
  >>         > does anyone
  have any ideas on how to best move forward from
  here?>
  the>         > backtest
  thinks I'm already in 10 stocks, so unless I get
  exit>
  signals>         > tonight,
  it won't show me any new buys, and if there are
  sells,>         it'll
  only>         > show that
  number of buys.>
  >>         > the only
  thing I could think of to sync things back up again
  is>         funky:
  hard>         > code some
  exceptions, like:>
  >>         > ticker =
  Name();>         > if(ticker
  == "LGF" or ticker == "CCBL" or ticker == "TRID")
  {>         >   buy
  = buy and Date() !=
  1031103>         >
  }>
  >>         > as time goes
  on, more of these would need to be added every
  time>
  something>         >
  unpredictable happened on the execution
  side.>
  >>         > any other
  ideas? anyone trading backtests like
  this?>
  >>         > dave>

  Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxx>         Send
  SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>
  Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.> >
  > >       Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxx>       Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>
  subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.> > >
  >     Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxx>     Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>
  Yahoo! Terms of Service.> >