[amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post #1

It is not the best way, but it is the only way we have (both walk
forward and backward test), unless you are a time traveler who can
go into the future and get all values for the past and...  My best
secondary system is better than my primary system when I look at
statistics, that is why it is my best secondary system, but it is
just a filter, not a comprehensive trading system...

rgds, Pal
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said anything, now we're lost in
a murgle
> of unclear words that I'm not sure is worth untangling.
>
> I thought you were saying, actually you did say, that statistics
and
> measures of past profitability weren't a good way to evaluate
system
> reliability. you proposed examining the underlying theory behind
the method
> instead.
>
> now here, you're saying that we need "simulation". what exactly is
> simulation, if not statistics on past performance?
>
> color me lost. not in general, I hope, but in this conversation
for sure. oh
> well.
>
> dave
>
>   Dave, that is why we need simulation.  It is easy to measure
validity
>   once you have a good grasp of the theory.
>
>   rgds, Pal
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   > Pal, how would you think about the validity of a theory without
>   considering
>   > whether it actually worked or not in practice?
>   >
>   > dave
>   >
>   >
>   > > Al, I'm not disputing the usefulness of statistics.  Far
from it.
>   > > I'm merely stating that in my view, it is misleading to
exclude
>   > > individual systems using past measures of profitability.

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xlw.sC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/GHeqlB/TM