[amibroker] Re: Robustivity

Steve,

Apparently the Detroit schools you speak so fondly of gave you a
permanent learning disability, so if you don't understand this
*again*, please have someone explain it to you: I have *nothing* to
prove to anyone, *least of all to you*.  As I wrote to DT, I will
provide more details (on my robustness criteria), and in this forum.
And yes, I do have better systems and also a track record.  But I'll
share what I care to here.  And if you or someone else doesn't like
that, I couldn't care less.  Gotta go, there's that doorbell again...
 Have a great evening!

Regards,

Mark

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading" <kernish@xxxx>
wrote:
> Mark,
>
> You've missed the entire spirit of the presentation.  If you have a
better momentum oscillator, that identifies short-term swing trades,
lay it on us.  If you have a ten or twenty point evaluation of what
the definition of robust might be...lay it on us.  If you have a chart
or a track record for your style or approach...again, bless us with
the details.

> Take care,
>
> Steve

LTCM
>   when it blew up?  Guess we need to toss out everything he's ever
>   touched too!
>
>   I don't trade futures.  Just stocks and options, for over 25
years,
>   and I have nothing to prove to anyone, least of all you.  If you
want
>   a robust approach, find one yourself.  It's really not that
difficult.
>   Just think out of the box, *get off of* the yellow brick road
>   (because it leads to the land of Oz) and use Amibroker with an
open
>   mind.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Mark
>
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading"
<kernish@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   > Mark,
>   >
>   > You're missing the point Dude.  There are a lot of things more
>   robust...like "way more".   Issue selection is the most important
>   point (if the system is robust, a system should trade hundreds of
>   issues with positive expectency).  Do you have a robust approach
that
>   works on grains, metals, interest rates, equities and indexes?
Have
>   you traded it for the last ten years?
>   >
>   > I just wanted to post something that was simple (those that
complain
>   about "mechanical systems don't work" and for those that want to
>   over-optimize).  I guess the question becomes:  Is Ryan Jones
approach
>   "sound"?  Hey it must be, Larry Williams endorses his book on
every
>   website I've seen.
>   >
>   > How about flashing one robust approach...show us the code...and
>   allow the forum to evaluate your ideas on trading and robustness.
>   >
>   > Take care,
>   >
>   > Steve
CMO(x).
> [...]
>   >   always been the same:  give me an indicator that is smooth,
yet
>   >   sensitive to intermediate and major market turns.  After
gawking
>   >   hundreds of charts, everyday, for the last six years, I'm
amazed
>   at
>   >   how this indicator quantifies momentum.  I like versions of
the
>   >   Stochastic RSI and the Standard Error Oscillator, but dollar
for
>   >   dollar, the CMO does it for me.
>   >   >
>   >   > something else?
>   >   >
>   >   > I think there's a few other things to mention.  First of
all,
>   the
>   >   ETF's that I showed were chosen because they represent a broad
>   range
>   >   of stocks and are popular trading instruments.  Do I suggest
>   trading
>   >   these issues with this system?  No way.  The CMO5 trades a
lot of
>   >   other issues with better results than the ETF's.  I always
allow
>   the
>   >   issues "to pick themselves".  Trade the issues that return the
>   >   greatest percentages in a stable system.
>   >   >
>   >   > In it's stripped down version, as presented, the CMO5 is an
>   >   indicator that can return steady profits (see equity lines) in
>   it's
>   >   rawest unoptimized form.  Is that robust?
>   >   >
>   >   > Robustness and optimizing/over-optimizing are fascinating
and
>   >   misunderstood subjects.  Over the years, I've constantly
>   simplified my
>   >   approaches.  I can improve on the results of the three ETF's
by
>   simply
>   >   "tweaking" the trigger levels.  But, will it walk forward
better
>   than
>   >   the default triggers of 34/-34?  At least what I presented was
>   out of
>   >   sample.
>   >   >
>   >   > If an approach does a good job of identifying movement of
>   supply and
>   >   demand, the approach should not be expected to work on all
>   issues.  To
>   >   say a system needs to work on all  issues is total crap.   To
say
>   that
>   >   a system sucks because it doesn't work on XYZ is another large
>   pile.
>   >   Build simple things and concentrate on issue selection.
>   >   >
>   >   > Optimization leads to dark and spooky places.  Ranking
up/amiquote/messages/)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511