  >From:
  <A title=gkavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">Graham
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 5:57
  PM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker]
Robustivity

  I have always wondered
  why a system must be usable over a range of markets.
  If you only trade shares
  in run-of-the-mill equities why should a system be suited to other
  markets.
  I also am assuming the
  term "markets" refer to something other than equity shares of companies, like
  commodities.
  Perhaps someone can help
  me out with this Markets term.

  Cheers,Graham<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/ASXShareTrading<A
  href="">http://groups.msn.com/FMSAustralia

    <FONT
    face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Anthony
    Faragasso [mailto:ajf1111@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, 1 November
    2003 6:46 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
    [amibroker] Robustivity
    Steve,

    As you are probably aware....but for others on
    the list.

    The first stage in the development of a trading
    system is its design.  This involves the development of a trading idea
    and then its implementation in some testable design. The second stage in
    this process is the preliminary testing of the trading model.

    Testing comprises four main steps.
    1. Verify that all the formulas and rules are
    being calculated as intended.
    2. Asses whether the combinations of formulas
    and rules function as the theory would indicate.
    3. Develop a preliminary idea of
    profitability.
    4. Develop a preliminary idea of
    robustness.

    Robustness is an
    important idea in trading model testing. The Webster's University dictionary
    provides the following definition: Robust : Powerfully
    built : Sturdy.

    The key word is " Sturdy". In other words, a
    robust trading model is tough and long lasting. For our purposes, a robust
    trading model may be identified by three characteristics:
    1. Profit over a wide range of
    variables.
    2. Profit over a wide range of
    markets.
    3. Profit over a wide range of market types and
    conditions.

    In other words, a robust model will continue to
    perform profitably when markets change. Since markets change constantly, the
    more robust the model, the better.
    <BLOCKQUOTE