[amibroker] Re: Managing drawdowns (was % channels)

Let me try again.  It is the most accurate system I have come across,
once the signals are validated.  I don't take the small loss because,
I do not use stops on entry and I'm absolutely confident that the
signal is valid but for that day only (it is a day-trading signal
which sometimes becomes a good long-term signal, so I don't want to
miss this signal), so that there is very slim chance that the same
validated signal will occur for the next session.  Yes the validated
(by OB/OS filters) intermediate and long-term signals has very little
drawdowns, but the day-trading short-term buy signal has drawdowns of
about 25% of the time and the day-trading short-term sell signal has
drawdown about 75% of the time and during these times I am forced to
use the Martingale system..

rgds, Pal

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:
> But if they're that rare, why trade them at all? Or why not simply
cut your loss on the trade, take your small loss, and get back in
when the signal is given again. Why pour good money after bad (unless
you are implying that the signal is sooooo good that historically it
always gives a win, which is hard to believe)? One conundrum in your
message was that it has no drawdowns. I can't imagine any system
without DDs. So, I guess I'm not following your logic. Sorry.

> AV

The
>   problem with these short-term signlals (remember I said there is
only
>   2 out of a total of 9), is the timing.  Ideally, the best entry
point
>   is the MOO (previous day's close price), but sometimes it has
>   drawdowns.  Becuase the signal is valid and I do not want to miss
>   them in case it takes off right after open near previous sessions
>   close price and has no drawdowns, in such cases, either I can
exit my
>   initial entry and re-enter at a better price as predicted by the
AFL
>   pivot points support/resistance or retain it and re-enter at the
>   predicted support/resistance and later exit the losing position
at
>   break-even trade.  I called it rare, because even though these
types
>   (short-term) signals are numerous (occurs almost every day) when
>   apply the filters and verify them, they get invalidated and hence
>   becomes rare in practice.  So, I came to the conclusion that the
>   Martingale systems are ideal for day-trading where the usual
>   rule "Cut your losses short and let your profits run" does not
apply
>   and in fact day-trading or short-term trading forces you to do
just
>   the opposite, i.e., "cut your profits short and let your losses
run
>   until you can re-coup it later by doubling up" the core of the
>   Martingale system...
>
>   rgds, Pal
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx>
wrote:
>   > Yes, I did notice it. But it was still in the same paragraph
where
>   it appeared as though you were endorsing martingale betting. I
guess
>   I don't understand what circumstances would warrant its 'rare'
use.
>   What do you mean by "...when the nature of the signal warrants
it"?
>   In my opinion, one should choose a certain MM approach and stick
>   it.
>   >
>   > AV
>   >
In
>   other
>   >   words, risk 1% of your capital on all bets but if your
profits
>   >   increase by, say, 10%, risk 5% of the profits plus your
normal 1%
>   of
>   >   current capital. You'll make big money without increasing
your
>   real
>   >   risk. And if you lose, you LOWER your bet size, not raise it.
>   That
>   >   way, you stay in the game in case you experience a run of
losses.
>   >   >
>   >   > Al Venosa
We

http://www.tsresearchgroup.com/en/articles/public_20020402010706.php
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
<fctonetti@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   >   >   > > Nice try ... As far as what trading system he used
and
>   >   whether or
>   >   >   > not
>   >   >   > > it was viable, how would I know.  As far as what MM
>   >   techniques he
>   >   >   > > used, again how would I know except for the fact that
it
>   >   seems to
>   >   >   > say
>   >   >   > > one of two things, either his stuff doesn't work as
>   >   demonstrated
>   >   >   in
>   >   >   > > his book or he didn't think well enough of it to use
it
>   as
>   >   >   opposed
>   >   >   > > using something else.  As far as your other reference
>   goes,
>   >   your
>   >   >   > > either part of that group in which case you should
have
>   >   >   understood
>   >   >   > > the reply I made and it should have made some sense
or
>   you
>   >   aren't
>   >   >   > in
>   >   >   > > which case you don't have a clue as to what you are
>   referring
>   >   to.
>   >   >   > >
>   >   >   > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarkF2"
>   <feierstein@xxxx>
>   >   >   wrote:
>   >   >   > > > "LOL, right ..."?  What simulation software did you
>   use?
>   >   No
>   >   >   > > answer?
>   >   >   > > > I didn't think I'd get one.  You don't know what
you're
>   >   talking
>   >   >   > > about
>   >   >   > > > unless you've run extensive MCS on these methods
with
>   >   numerous
>   >   >   > > systems
>   >   >   > > > and compared them side by side.  I've tested Van
>   Tharp's
>   >   stuff
>   >   >   and
>   >   >   > > > would agree that it works.  But there's stuff in
Jones'
> [...]
>   >   his own
>   >   >   > > > account
>   >   >   > > > > (s) into 90+% DD's using his own mehtods.
>   >   >   > > > >
>   >   >   > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarkF2"
>   >   <feierstein@xxxx>
>   >   >   > > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > Well you didn't do it correctly.  What
simulation
>   >   software
>   >   >   did
>   >   >   > > > you
>   >   >   > > > > use?
>   >   >   > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
>   >   <fctonetti@xxxx>
>   >   >   > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > > Yes I have which is why I said I must be one
of
>   the
>   >   >   ignorant
>   >   >   > > > ones.
>   >   >   > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarkF2"
>   >   >   > <feierstein@xxxx>
>   >   >   > > > > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > > > Have you read and tested the stuff in his
book,
>   or
>   >   are
>   >   >   you
>   >   >   > > > just
>   >   >   > > > > > > making
>   >   >   > > > > > > > a typically provocative comment?
>   >   >   > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
>   >   >   <fctonetti@xxxx>
>   >   >   > > > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > Ryan Jones ? OMG ... I must be one of the
>   >   ignorant
>   >   >   ones.
>   >   >   > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarkF2"
>   >   >   > > > <feierstein@xxxx>
>   >   >   > > > > > > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > Hi Leo!
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > Let me elaborate.  Although I wouldn't
put
>   $.02
>   >   on
>   >   >   a
>   >   >   > > > > *simple*
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > Martingale or anti-Martingale method of
>   money
>   >   >   > > management,
>   >   >   > > > I
>   >   >   > > > > do
>   >   >   > > > > > > think
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > that the latter is certainly viable
while
>   the
>   >   >   former
>   >   >   > is
>   >   >   > > > > not.
>   >   >   > > > > > > How to
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > do
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > better?  I'd recommend reading The
Trading
> [...]
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > --- In
>   amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "MarkF2"
>   >   >   > > > > <feierstein@xxxx>
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > Neither of these is a technique I'd
put
>   >   $.02 on,
>   >   >   > > > quite
>   >   >   > > > > > > easily
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > demonstrated by bootstrapping
>   >   representative
>   >   >   > trades
>   >   >   > > > > while
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > applying
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > them.  Every time I mention
simulation
>   >   >   everyones'
>   >   >   > > > eyes
>   >   >   > > > > glaze
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > over,
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > but
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > if you're not using it for position
>   sizing
>   >   or
>   >   >   > money
>   >   >   > > > > > > management
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > or
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > whatever you want to call it,
you're
>   flying
>   >   >   blind.
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > --- In
>   >   amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "palsanand"
>   >   >   > > > > > > <palsanand@xxxx>
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > wrote:
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > Dave,
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > There is a good link I came
across:
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > >
>   >   http://www.arbtrading.com/moneymanagement.htm
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > >
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > I like the Anti-Martingale and
>   Martingale
>   >   >   > > (doubling
>   >   >   > > > > up)
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > systems
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > manage drawdowns.  I would use a
>   >   combination
>   >   >   of
>   >   >   > > > these
>   >   >   > > > > > > systems,
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > so
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > that when I'm losing money I
would
>   use
>   >   >   > Martingale
>   >   >   > > > > system
>   >   >   > > > > > > and
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > when
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > I'm
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > finally making money with the
final
>   >   position,
>   >   >   I
>   >   >   > > > would
>   >   >   > > > > be
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > automatically switched over to
Anti-
>   >   >   Martingale
>   >   >   > > > > system,
>   >   >   > > > > > > but
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > may
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > most
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > likely exit losing positions at
break-
>   >   even
>   >   >   > price.
>   >   >   > > > I
>   >   >   > > > > would
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > double
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > up
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > only when I get stronger signals
>   verfied
>   >   by
>   >   >   > OB/OS
>   >   >   > > > > > > conditions
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > in
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > the
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > subsequent session, so that my
system
>   of
>   >   using
>   >   >   > > > 3BSMA
>   >   >   > > > > for
>   >   >   > > > > > > the
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > next
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > session is temporarily
suspended.  It
>   >   does
>   >   >   take
>   >   >   > > > > usually
>   >   >   > > > > > > about
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > 3
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > days
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > for a trend-change to fully
develop.
>   >   would
>   >   >   > not
>   >   >   > > > > double
>   >   >   > > > > > > up
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > beyond
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > 3
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > consecutive days, because if you
are
>   >   wrong 4
>   >   >   > times
>   >   >   > > > in
>   >   >   > > > > a
>   >   >   > > > > > > row,
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > most
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > likely the market is starting a
new
>   trend
>   >   in
>   >   >   > the
>   >   >   > > > > opposite
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > direction
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > and will go against you and so
better
>   >   >   exit.
>   >   >   > I
>   >   >   > > > > have
>   >   >   > > > > > > done
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > this
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > many
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > times, as I find it impossible to
>   >   optimize my
>   >   >   > > entry
>   >   >   > > > > > > points.
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > But
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > the
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > safest course is to wait for the
>   actual
>   >   >   > > > Trend-change
>   >   >   > > > > > > signal
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > verified
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > by OB/OS conditions, then you may
>   never
>   >   have
>   >   >   > > > > double up
>   >   >   > > > > > > but
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > you
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > may
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > miss some signals.  This may
sound
>   crazy
>   >   for
>   >   >   > some
>   >   >   > > > but
>   >   >   > > > > it
>   >   >   > > > > > > does
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > seem
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > work for me especially with the
AFL
> [...]
said
>   it's
>   >   not
>   >   >   > what
>   >   >   > > > you
>   >   >   > > > > > > make,
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > it's
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > what
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > you
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > >   keep.  DD's are killers from
lots
>   of
>   >   >   aspects
>   >   >   > > > not
>   >   >   > > > > just
>   >   >   > > > > > > in
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > terms
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > of
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > >   what they do to your account
>   balance
>   >   but
>   >   >   > also
>   >   >   > > > > what
>   >   >   > > > > > > they do
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > ones
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > >   ability psycologically to
trade
>   and
>   >   stay
>   >   >   > with
>   >   >   > > > > systems
>   >   >   > > > > > > that
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > do
>   >   >   > > > > > > > > > > > > work.
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   >   >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>   >   >   -----------------------------------------
>   >   >   Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
>   amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   >   (Web page:
>   >   >   --------------------------------------------
>   >   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >   >
>   >   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of
>   >   Service.
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >   ---
>   10/9/2003
>   >
>   >
>   >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>   >   -----------------------------------------
>   >   Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   --------------------------------------------
>   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
10/9/2003

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>

>   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx