RE: [amibroker] Auto-optimization AFL uploaded

<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>glad it's working. it's too bad the no-array
limitations on the native AB functions make us get a little more techie about
this than we'd otherwise have to, it's workable.
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>re no rows, near the bottom is the exploration code,
including the filter statement, which I think defaults to buy or sell or short
or cover. if that's what you want, then the problem is probably that you're not
seeing any buys, in analysis mode either, yes? if so, make sure the index
tickers you're using have volume data (some do some don't in the QuotesPlus data
I use), or modify the minimum volume requirement in the TRADE ENTRY RESTRICTIONS
section.
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>that's actually the sleazy answer. a better one is to
look in the FRAMEWORK ENGINE section, at 'tweak volume entry requirements for
things with no volume data', and find this expression:
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>    StrLeft(Name(), 1) ==
"!"
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>with my QuotesPlus data, that's how indexes are
flagged, by having their ticker names begin with "!". with other providers, it's
probably different; I think yahoo is "^", for example. change that code, and
anything with that prefix won't be subject to the minimum volume rule in TRADE
ENTRY RESTRICTIONS. the unreleased update of the framework has a better way of
handling this.
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>hope this helps,
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>
<SPAN
class=155574802-29102003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>It
  works!!!! Making my MFI period, p1, a constant, eliminated
  theerror...thanksThen, since sum() appears to take an array for
  its period, I was able to getthis updated, dynamic-or-not function to
  run:function BuySellPcntBMFI(dynamic, p1, p2) { // p1 = MFI period, p2
  = highcrossover threshhold    price =
  Close;    BA = 20; //Bband MA    BD =
  2;//Bband Stdev    BL = ML = 20;// lower crossover
  threshhold    MP = p1;// MFI period
  if(dynamic) {        MoneyFlow = V *
  Avg;        Change = Avg - Ref( Avg, -1
  );        PositiveFlow=Sum( IIf( Change
  > 0, MoneyFlow, 0 ) ,p1 );
  NegativeFlow=Sum( IIf( Change < 0, MoneyFlow, 0 ) ,p1
  );
  MoneyRatio=PositiveFlow/NegativeFlow;
  MFIndex=100-(100/(1+MoneyRatio));    } else
  {
  MFIndex=MFI(MP);    }    MH = BH = p2;//
  higher crossover threshhold    b= ((price - BBandBot(
  price, BA, BD )) / (BBandTop( price, BA, BD ) -BBandBot(price, BA, BD )))
  * 100;    Buy = Cover = b > BH AND MFIndex >
  MH;    Sell = Short = b < BL AND MFIndex <
  ML;}thanks again-johnBTW, when I use
  1990-to-current EOD data for MSN's $COMPX or Yahoo's ^IXIC(both supposedly
  the NASDAQ composite) as my 'current stock', i get a singleresult row for
  Backtest and NO rows, just headers, for Explore.  Individualstocks do
  yield multiple rows.----- Original Message ----- From: Dave
  MerrillTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003
  12:09 PMSubject: RE: [amibroker] Auto-optimization AFL
  uploadedhi john, I don't have time right now to mess in detail w
  this, but trytemporarily replacing p2 with a fixed number and see if the
  error goes away.it won't give you correct results, but might verify my
  suspicion, which isthat AB's BBand functions can't take arrays for their
  period. if that's thecase, you'd need to code a replacement in AFL that
  can, or if we're lucky,maybe those functions are part of
  indicators.dll.I hope that some day soon, we'll get versions of all
  built in AB indicatorsthat are array-capable. many of them already are,
  and it would be great iflife was that kind of symetrical, not to mention
  useful.daveI think i have a 'dynamic=false' situation like
  your BuySellStoch. (I amusing p1 as the number of periods for MFI() and
  assume that this"mfi(periods=14)" syntax in Help means that MFI can take
  only a single-valueparameter. And p2 is a single-value crossover threshold
  for Bollinger's %b.)FWIW, here is my rule code producing the
  error:function BuySellPcntBMFI(dynamic, p1, p2) { // p1 = MFI period,
  p2 = highcrossover threshhold    price =
  Close;    BA = 20; //Bband MA    BD =
  2;//Bband Stdev    BL = ML = 20;// lower crossover
  threshhold    MP = p1;// MFI period
  MH = BH = p2;// higher crossover threshhold    //b is
  Bollinger's %b    b = ((price - BBandBot( price, BA, BD ))
  / (BBandTop( price, BA, BD ) -BBandBot(price, BA, BD ))) *
  100;    Buy = Cover = b > BH AND MFI(MP) >
  MH;    Sell = Short = b < BL AND MFI(MP) <
  ML;}TIA,-john----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave MerrillTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSent: Tuesday,
  October 28, 2003 8:03 AMSubject: RE: [amibroker] Auto-optimization
  AFLthanks for the compliments, glad it's kind of sane in there
  (:-).just FYI, there's a new version of this that I haven't posted
  yet. amongother changes, it handles up to 3 optimization parameters, and
  allows eachrule to set the optimization parameter ranges independently. it
  also movesthe docs into a separate file, so the code file is smaller and
  easier todeal with. I'll get that up as soon as I can finish it
  off.no, you don't have to set dynamic yourself, and shouldn't. did you
  read thecomments about it? I bet it's not dynamic itself that your rule is
  gettinghung up on, it's the optimization parameters being arrays when
  dynamic istrue.here's the section about this from the newer
  version, expanded a bit fromthe original; not sure if the example BuySell
  rules it mentions are exactlythe same:--------------during
  optimization, the active rule is called multiple times, once witheach
  combination of p1, p2 and p3 being tested. at this time, p1, p2 and p3are
  simple numeric values, not arrays. once optimal settings have
  beendetermined for every bar, the rule is called once more, to generate
  actualtrading signals. this time, p1, p2 and p3 are arrays, each bar
  dynamicallycontaining the optimal p1, p2 and p3 value for that
  bar.whether they're simple values or arrays matters because not all AB
  functionscan accept arrays as inputs. for example, MA, TEMA, DEMA, WMA and
  AMA canuse an array as their period, but EMA and MACD can't. it's usually
  possibleto code an equivalent in AFL that can, like the included EMAx
  function is areplacement for EMA. an AFL replacement may be significantly
  slower though,if it has to do a lot of work, since rules are called many
  times duringoptimization. you could also use a DLL, like indicators.dll
  from the 3rdparty section of the AB site, but I didn't want this code to
  depend onoutside tools.if this is an issue for a particular rule,
  include both slower array-capablecode for use in the final
  signal-generation phase, and faster,non-array-capable code for use during
  the many optimization tries. use the'dynamic' parameter to know which to
  call; see BuySellStoch, below, for anexample. you can also write a custom
  function with both versions, and passdynamic into it; see BuySellCCI and
  CCIx for an example.--------------hth,daveHi
  Dave,I started working with it...very nice, structured, work...this
  will helpfolks learn AFL as well as general programming design, I
  believe..so far, i am having a bit of trouble with the 'dynamic'
  True/False parameterbeing fed to one of my indicators---but i suspect this
  is my problem notyours:BuySellRule(True, best_p1,
  best_p2);-----------------------------------^Bad args.0-th
  argument of function call has invalid (or unsupported) typeI don't
  have to specifically set 'dynamic'; do I?thanks-john-----
  Original Message ----- From: Dave MerrillTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 6:32
  PMSubject: RE: [amibroker] Auto-optimization AFL
  uploadedthanks, appreciate it (:-).so, did you figure out
  how we can all be millionaires by morning with ityet? or at least learn
  something about something?you probably noticed this, but the way it
  comes set up, it's not usingequity feedback to optimize with, but net bars
  on the right side of themarket. my initial impression after I built that
  was that it worked betterthan equity, but since then, I've concluded that,
  guess what, it depends. soanyway, try the other scoring algorithm too, if
  you haven't already.keep me posted (:-).anyone else playing
  with this thing?daveI've downloaded it and run it about a dozen
  times.  What you've done is
  veryimpressive.Thanks,Howard-----Original
  Message-----From: Dave Merrill [mailto:dmerrill@xxxxxxx]Sent:
  Wednesday, October 22, 2003 1:11 PMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker] Auto-optimization AFL
  uploadedforgot to say it howard, but I'm very interested in what you
  think about it,and any results you get from fiddling with
  it.dave