Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

Hi,

> If I discover a good system to trade the S&P futures, I will
certainly not
> toss it aside if it performs poorly on Soy Beans.  Generalize this
to any
> two markets.  It only takes a few good trading system / market
combinations
> to be a winning trader.  There is no need to solve the universal
market
> prediction problem for all markets for all time.

Maybe you would not toss it away, but I would.  I have solved the
universal market prediction problem for all markets for all time.

> To use the breakout system you mention specifically, breakout
systems used
> to work very well on futures; they now work poorly on futures; they
do not
> work at all on most stocks.  Please code up an example breakout
system in
> afl, run it on futures data from 1970 on and on stock data.  If you
find
> something good, report it back to us all.

I have used breakout systems (not the specific one in the example)
successfully regardless of the type of market and I don't have time
to do the experiment you suggested...

Regards,

Pal

Rent DVDs from home.