Re: [amibroker] Invitation -- suggest your favorite objective function

I think there are numerous ways to evaluate your system rather than relying
on one objective function. For example, the other day, I was doing a portfolio
optimization to find out the optimum no. of positions I should have open, given
a certain amount of starting equity. I then plotted the results of a few of the
output parameters TJ now gives us in an optimization output. See attached png
file. If you were simply using one objective function (CAR) without considering
anything else, you would choose 5 open positions because that's where CAR max'd
out. However, MAR (=CAR/MDD) was still rising as was UPI (you want that to be
high), while UI (you want that to be low) was still falling and RAR/MDD was
still not max'd out yet. So, when you look at 7 open positions, you see that UI
had pretty much bottomed, UPI, RAR/MDD, and MAR had finally topped. So, in this
particular case, the optimum no. of open positions would be selected to be 7, in
my opinion, rather than 5. So, using this tiny little example, I think you need
to look at several different objective functions and decide on the best strategy
based on the total story they all tell. I also like to use expectancy, which I
think is an extremely important and useful objective function. Sorry for the
multiple answer, but I don't think there is only one criterion upon which
to judge a trading system.

Al Venosa
<BLOCKQUOTE