RE: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

<SPAN
class=540164814-20102003>understood, if the total histories are different, not
just their order, sorry.
<SPAN
class=540164814-20102003>
<SPAN
class=540164814-20102003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>Your
  missing something :) Pal wrote that he was missing the first two trades.
  Here is a small example I just did in excel. Two accounts both starting
  out with 1000. On the column on the left, I made 100% profit on the first
  trade, 90% on the second, etc...The last trade I made 10%, compounded. I
  only took out the 100% profitable trade on the other column. Everything
  else the same. Quite a difference in equity,
  corrrect?1000
  10002000
  19003800
  34206840
  581411628
  930218605
  1395427907
  1953539070
  2539650791
  3047560949
  3352267044      John--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
  wrote:> it's counterintuitive to some degree, but whether your
  gains or losses come> first doesn't effect the final outcome (with
  the possible minor exception of> interest effects). multiplication
  is commutative, so the order in which> several multiplications are
  done doesn't matter.> > $10k x 150% x 50% is the same as $10k x
  50% x 150%> >     because> >
  $10k x 150% = $15k and $15k * 50% = $7.5k>
  and> $10k x 50% = $5k and $5k * 150% = $7.5k> > >
  or am I missing something?> > dave>   I have a
  lot of reading to catch up so I don't know if anybody>
  responded to your equity line question.> >   It sounds
  to me that you are compounding your results, correct? If
  so>   a few big wins at the start of your equity line vs
  several losses at>   the start will greatly affect your
  equity line. Check the first>   several trades. Here is where
  it has the greatest effect. A way>   around this is to test
  on a single issue or set amount.> >
  Regards,>   John>   --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "palsanand" <palsanand@xxxx>
  wrote:>   > Hi,>
  >>   > Here is an interesting observation on system
  testing:>   >>   > Say you run a
  system test over 10,000 bars of data, then print out>
  a>   > chart of the system's equity line. Then repeat the
  test, but start>   > 100 bars later. Let's say two
  trades were included in those 100>
  bars,>   > so they've been dropped. Now print the second
  equity line and>   compare>   > it to the
  first. You'd get exactly the same equity line, but 100>
  bars>   > shorter. Right? Wrong!>
  >>   > When I do this I get a radically different
  equity line on the>   second>   > test,
  i.e., they are not near-mirror images of each other. My
  hunch>   > is that a form of the chaotician's
  "butterfly-effect" has arisen:>   > changing any given
  trade's market position (long, short, flat) will>   >
  effect in a chain reaction all the subsequent trades in complex
  and>   > unexpected ways. Here dropping the first two
  trades could very well>   > change the system's market
  position when the third trade is>   > calculated, and so
  on.>   >>   > I believe this
  observation has profound and unfortunate>
  implications>   > for the robustness of system testing.
  It's a second and more subtle>   > problem that lies
  behind the mere curve-fitting/optimization>
  problem.>   >>   > If dropping a
  couple of early trades will always effect later>
  trades,>   > then there's no truly "neutral" starting
  point with any test data.>   > Where your test data
  starts determines the final test results just>
  as>   > much as your system does.>
  >>   > The success or failure of many different
  mechanical systems is>   > predicated to a surprising and
  varying degree on the sequence of>   > events just prior
  to the first actual trade generated by the>
  system.>   >>   > The trade setup and
  timing of the first trade can have a profound>   >
  effect on the subsequent trading results. The circumstances
  and>   > timing of entry into the first trade can
  sometimes make a huge>   > difference in the overall
  trading performance.>   >>   >
  Regards,>   >>   >
Pal