Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

Dave,

Your missing something :) Pal wrote that he was missing the first two
trades. Here is a small example I just did in excel. Two accounts
both starting out with 1000. On the column on the left, I made 100%
profit on the first trade, 90% on the second, etc...The last trade I
made 10%, compounded. I only took out the 100% profitable trade on
the other column. Everything else the same. Quite a difference in
equity, corrrect?

1000	1000
2000	1900
3800	3420
6840	5814
11628	9302
18605	13954
27907	19535
39070	25396
50791	30475
60949	33522
67044

John
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> it's counterintuitive to some degree, but whether your gains or
losses come
> first doesn't effect the final outcome (with the possible minor
exception of
> interest effects). multiplication is commutative, so the order in
which
> several multiplications are done doesn't matter.
>
> $10k x 150% x 50% is the same as $10k x 50% x 150%
>
>     because
>
> $10k x 150% = $15k and $15k * 50% = $7.5k
>     and
> $10k x 50% = $5k and $5k * 150% = $7.5k
>

> or am I missing something?
>
> dave
>   I have a lot of reading to catch up so I don't know if anybody
>   responded to your equity line question.
>
>   It sounds to me that you are compounding your results, correct?
If so
>   a few big wins at the start of your equity line vs several losses
at
>   the start will greatly affect your equity line. Check the first
>   several trades. Here is where it has the greatest effect. A way
>   around this is to test on a single issue or set amount.
>
>   Regards,
>   John
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "palsanand" <palsanand@xxxx>
wrote:
>   > Hi,
>   >
>   > Here is an interesting observation on system testing:
>   >
>   > Say you run a system test over 10,000 bars of data, then print
out
>   > chart of the system's equity line. Then repeat the test, but
start
>   > 100 bars later. Let's say two trades were included in those 100
>   bars,
>   > so they've been dropped. Now print the second equity line and
>   compare
>   > it to the first. You'd get exactly the same equity line, but 100
>   bars
>   > shorter. Right? Wrong!
>   >
>   > When I do this I get a radically different equity line on the
>   second
>   > test, i.e., they are not near-mirror images of each other. My
hunch
>   > is that a form of the chaotician's "butterfly-effect" has
arisen:
>   > changing any given trade's market position (long, short, flat)
will
>   > effect in a chain reaction all the subsequent trades in complex
and
>   > unexpected ways. Here dropping the first two trades could very
well
>   > change the system's market position when the third trade is
>   > calculated, and so on.
>   >
>   > I believe this observation has profound and unfortunate
>   implications
>   > for the robustness of system testing. It's a second and more
subtle
>   > problem that lies behind the mere curve-fitting/optimization
>   problem.
>   >
>   > If dropping a couple of early trades will always effect later
>   trades,
>   > then there's no truly "neutral" starting point with any test
data.
>   > Where your test data starts determines the final test results
just
>   as
>   > much as your system does.
>   >
>   > The success or failure of many different mechanical systems is
>   > predicated to a surprising and varying degree on the sequence of
>   > events just prior to the first actual trade generated by the
>   system.
>   >
>   > The trade setup and timing of the first trade can have a
profound
>   > effect on the subsequent trading results. The circumstances and
>   > timing of entry into the first trade can sometimes make a huge
>   > difference in the overall trading performance.
>   >
>   > Regards,
>   >
>   > Pal