RE: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>it's counterintuitive to some degree, but <SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>whether your gains or losses come first doesn't effect
the final outcome (with the possible minor exception of interest effects).
multiplication is commutative, so the order in which several
multiplications are done doesn't matter.
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>$10k x 150% x 50% is the same as $10k x
50% x 150%
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>    because
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>$10k x 150% = $15k and $15k * 50% =
$7.5k
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>    and
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>$10k x 50% = $5k and $5k * 150% =
$7.5k
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>or am I missing something?
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>
<SPAN
class=927180012-20102003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
  have a lot of reading to catch up so I don't know if anybody responded to
  your equity line question.It sounds to me that you are compounding
  your results, correct? If so a few big wins at the start of your equity
  line vs several losses at the start will greatly affect your equity line.
  Check the first several trades. Here is where it has the greatest effect.
  A way around this is to test on a single issue or set
  amount.Regards,John--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "palsanand" <palsanand@xxxx> wrote:> Hi,> > Here is
  an interesting observation on system testing:> > Say you run a
  system test over 10,000 bars of data, then print out a > chart of
  the system's equity line. Then repeat the test, but start > 100 bars
  later. Let's say two trades were included in those 100 bars, > so
  they've been dropped. Now print the second equity line and compare
  > it to the first. You'd get exactly the same equity line, but 100
  bars > shorter. Right? Wrong! > > When I do this I
  get a radically different equity line on the second > test, i.e.,
  they are not near-mirror images of each other. My hunch > is that a
  form of the chaotician's "butterfly-effect" has arisen: > changing any
  given trade's market position (long, short, flat) will > effect in a
  chain reaction all the subsequent trades in complex and > unexpected
  ways. Here dropping the first two trades could very well > change the
  system's market position when the third trade is > calculated, and so
  on. > > I believe this observation has profound and unfortunate
  implications > for the robustness of system testing. It's a second
  and more subtle > problem that lies behind the mere
  curve-fitting/optimization problem. > > If dropping a couple
  of early trades will always effect later trades, > then there's no
  truly "neutral" starting point with any test data. > Where your test
  data starts determines the final test results just as > much as
  your system does. > > The success or failure of many different
  mechanical systems is > predicated to a surprising and varying degree
  on the sequence of > events just prior to the first actual trade
  generated by the system. > > The trade setup and timing of
  the first trade can have a profound > effect on the subsequent trading
  results. The circumstances and > timing of entry into the first trade
  can sometimes make a huge > difference in the overall trading
  performance. > > Regards,> >
  PalSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.