Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again) - to Fred

Fine, I won't pretend to answer one when you stop pretending to ask
one.  As I've stated, I see nothing different in the market action of
todays markets .vs. those of 10, 50 or 100 years ago.  I don't know
how to be more clear then that.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> forget it fred. I respect your progamming skills, your intellect,
and what I
> know of your trading history as well. but if you're not going to
answer the
> question, don't pretend to.
>
> dave
>   From my perpsective all of them ...
>
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   > come on fred, I'm serious, you know what I'm asking.
>   >
>   > we don't need to know specifically how far up something will go,
>   that's just
>   > one way of knowing something about when it will go back down.
>   >
>   > the point is to profit for our trades. that requires buying
lower
>   than we
>   > sell. what aspects of market behavior have been constant over
time
>   that
>   > enable us to do that?
>   >
>   > dave
>   >   In order to make money, which is what I thought the goal was,
do
>   we
>   >   really need to know how high is up etc. ?
>   >
>   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill"
<dmerrill@xxxx>
>   >   wrote:
>   >   > knowing that the markets go up and down isn't tradable
>   knowledge.
>   >   you have
>   >   > to know something about *which* of those two things will
>   happen, to
>   >   which
>   >   > stocks, when, and/or how far. as far as I know, patterns on
>   those
>   >   levels do
>   >   > change over time, or at least the lengths over which they
cycle
>   >   change.
>   >   >
>   >   > what *tradable* market behaviors are there that are constant
>   over
>   >   time?
>   >   >
>   >   > dave
>   >   >   From: Fred [mailto:fctonetti@x...]
>   >   >
>   >   >   Uhhh ... the ups and the downs ... as far as I can tell
>   marlets
>   >   have
>   >   >   pretty much done that since the beginning of time.
Nothing
>   much
>   >   >   different about it in my view today the it was in any
other
>   time
>   >   >   frame.
>   >   >
>   >   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill"
>   <dmerrill@xxxx>
>   >   >   wrote:
>   >   >   > I'm serious fred. what kinds of tradable market
behaviors
>   are
>   >   you
>   >   >   talking
>   >   >   > about that aren't related to things that change over
time?
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   > basic example: virtually every description of market
>   behavior
>   >   I'm
>   >   >   aware of
>   >   >   > has time constants, trigger levels, and other "static"
>   features
>   >   >   whose best
>   >   >   > performing values migrate or cycle over time. it seems
>   unlikely
>   >   on
>   >   >   the face
>   >   >   > of it that the point where some specific MA crosses
another
>   >   >   specific MA is a
>   >   >   > quasi-permanently useful switch point, for instance.
what
> [...]
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   > you must be talking about some other level of behavior
>   that's
>   >   >   constant in
>   >   >   > some pan-historical sense, but I'm lost without an
example
>   of a
>   >   >   tradable
>   >   >   > feature like this.
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   > (it's interesting to me that auto-optimizing system
don't
>   have
>   >   >   those kinds
>   >   >   > of static parameters in the same sense. yes, they have
>   >   specifics of
>   >   >   course,
>   >   >   > like constraints on the range of each parameter, time
>   constants
>   >   on
>   >   >   their
>   >   >   > learning behaviors, and a definition of an equity
metric.
>   but
>   >   they
>   >   >   make no
>   >   >   > assumptions about what time constants or crossover
levels
>   work
>   >   >   well, they
>   >   >   > just try 'em and see.)
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   > dave
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   >   forest (:-)
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   >   what kinds of tradable market behavior should we be
>   looking
>   >   >   at/for that
>   >   >   > transcend the "short-sighted view of history" we
>   *shouldn't* be
>   >   >   looking for?
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   >   dave
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   >     This makes me want to ask what your longest possible
>   time
>   >   frame
>   >   >   is ?
>   >   >   >
>   >   >   >     --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill"
>   >   <dmerrill@xxxx>
>   >   >   >     wrote:
>   >   >   >     > well yes, you're right, the same stuff is always
>   >   happening.
>   >   >   prices
>   >   >   >     go up,
>   >   >   >     > prices go down, and they always have.
>   >   >   >     >
>   >   >   >     > but that's not useful info to trade on. what we
care
>   >   about is
>   >   >   >     trends of some
>   >   >   >     > kind that can be predicted/hoped to continue or
>   reverse in
>   >   >   some
>   >   >   >     particular
>   >   >   >     > time frame. that's knowledge we can profit from.
and

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511