[amibroker] Open Discussion: How do you use AB Workspace and how can we improve it?

Hi to all,

I have been using AB for around 1 year. In that time, I have used it
to do many different things from backtesting systems on all kinds of
futures contracts to scanning daily for stocks to trade the next
day. It is a very versatile tool and I cannot thank its creator
enough for his good work and for providing it at such an affordable
price.

The purpose of this post is to try to generate ideas on how to
improve the AB workspace which holds all the
markets/watchlists/symbols etc. I invite other AB users to tell us
how they use the Workspace and also contribute suggestions on how it
can be improved.

Currently I use 2 watchlists: a "Stalk list"
and a "Tradable list". The stalk list is a list of stocks which I am
watching but am not ready to trade the next day. The Tradable list
is a list of stocks which have setup properly and which I am ready
to trade the  next day if a certain price is reached. I am
constantly adding/removing symbols from the stalk list and from the
tradable list as symbols satisfy criteria and then fall out of
satisfying those criteria.

So how can we improve the workspace? Here are my suggestions:

1. Implement ways to MOVE a symbol from one watchlist to another
watchlist or to Favorites. This could be done in at least two ways:

   a) Implement a "Watchlist->Move Selected Symbol" function: This
would be almost identical to the  "Watchlist->Add Selected Symbol"
function that you get by right-clicking any symbol in a watchlist.
The only difference is that it will add the symbol to the new watch
list and simultaneously delete it from the old watchlist (ie MOVE
the symbol). We can also have "MOVE TO FAVORITES" in addition to the
currently available "ADD TO FAVORITES".

   b) Implement drag-and-drop functionality (like in Visual C++
workspace) to allow a symbol to be dragged from one watchlist to
another.

2. Apply to the Favorites list all the functionality that watchlists
enjoy. Right now, you can right-click on a regular watchlist in the
Workspace and get a menu with functions
like "Export", "Import", "Add selected symbol" etc. However, symbols
in the Favorites list don't provide this menu when they are right-
clicked. Also the Favorites cannot be changed through the "Symbol-
>Organize Assignments" function. All other watchlists can be
manipulated through "Symbol->Organize Assignments".

3. Enable the "Application key" to be used to bring up the "right-
click menu" on any symbol. In other words, instead of right-clicking
a symbol in the workspace to bring up the menu (Infomation, Split,
Add to favorites etc..), it would be nice if it can be done using
the keyboard as well (the application key on the keyboard is beside
the "Window" key and in general is equivalent to right-clicking in
Windows applications.)

Best regards to all..

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping