[amibroker] Re: AFL for Beginners

Hi jgeng,

There is an intimidating mass of information in the User's Guide,
but it is not organised for easy learning by beginners.  Most of us
learn by doing, and by looking up what we need immediately.  Learn
coding the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice,
practice!  Experiment and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

I suggest you start by getting a ring binder and printing out the
AFL Tutorials and AFL Language Reference that Tomasz mentioned.
Code simple things - price bars, candlesticks, volume.  Learn
the "Plot" variations of style and color.  Then add simple and
exponential moving moving averages.  Use Param and Paramcolor to
easily change the periods and colors of the MAs.  Every time you use
a new function, look it up and print out its web page for easy
reference.  You'll build up a useful library.

As a general rule, start small and work in small steps, plotting the
result frequently to make sure you have achieved what you want.
Create a folder in AmiBroker and regularly save your coding to it.
Initially save just the name of the indicator, then resave as you
add lines.  You'll keep getting syntax errors and will learn by
correcting them (count those left and right parentheses).

Once you become familiar with the basics it is a useful exercise to
take snippets of code that you find in the manual or on this board,
and deconstruct them to see why certain functions were used and what
they achieved.  Look in the AFL Library for indicators at the basic
level and print them out.  You'll learn more if you type them into
the Indicator Builder yourself than by importing them wholesale.

HHP