[amibroker] Re: Narrowing in on Tradable Stocks

Al,

My own observations.

Even though the institutional ownership on the 400 issues studied was
relatively stable (and high), notice that the BETA values did not seem
to imply the diminished volatility that you might expect from the
level of institutional ownership.

I did notice that the BETA values consistantly got lower as the list
diminished in DOLLAR related volume, (and the reported BETA averages
included (rather than excluded) the higher DOLLAR related volume
issues reported above them. In other words, there seems to be a
significant linear relationship between the DOLLAR volume and BETA,
regardless of institutional ownership.

Perhaps another study needs to be done seperately on the relationship
between institional ownership and float and BETA to see if there is a
predictable relationship where institutional ownership is concerned.

Phsst

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:
> Yuki,
>
> That was a neat story, albeit anecdotal. Very interesting. I
remember years ago, when I was interested in O'Neil's CANSLIM method
of trading, that he used to recommend SOME institutional ownership,
but not a huge amount. He favored (and still does, I think) lower cap
stocks with huge growth potential. You seem to be saying the opposite:
institutional ownership is good, and the more, the better. Am I
interpreting you correctly? Doesn't a high degree of institutional
ownership result in diminished volatility, to the point of being less
tradeable since the stock moves ever so slowly? Apparently not, at
least in your case with Softbank.

> As always, I enjoy your provocative posts.
>
> Al Venosa

Buy No Snore & Get a Good Night's Sleep. Natural Oral Spray -- $24.95
(1 bottle, 1 month supply, with sweet almond oil, eucalyptus oil & more).
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2881&lp=h515.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2oMABA/nuYGAA/ySSFAA/GHeqlB/TM