[amibroker] Re: Random selection of stocks (was "brown paper bag")

Chuck,

I'm not sure if *whatever* anyone does to create a watchlist can
become part of the AFL code.  There are ways of selecting a watchlist
that requires some number crunching in Excel.  As a general example,
taking the results of a backtest and, for each ticker, taking one of
the stats( columns) and multiplying it by something and also summing
or averaging another stat for each trade for that ticker, etc.  Can
that kind of thing be done in AFL & possibly using some AB add-ons.

Maybe I just don't have enough of a grasp on some of AB's plug-ins
such as ABtool, PT, etc.

HB

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> I wasn't going to reply to Yuki's comment about "looking for things
that
> work across a random selection of stocks is a waste of time", but
Fred has
> sort of got me motivated to do so.
>
> I understand why Yuki made the statement, but I prefer to do the
filtering
> process (that she is manually doing) within my trading system.
Yuki, what
> makes you select certain stocks for trading?   You don't need to
answer that
> question, but I feel that whatever anyone does to create a
watchlist can
> become part of the AFL code.   By doing it as part of the trading
system,
> stocks will come into and go out of the list, without my
intervention, for
> backtesting and for trading forward.   When a stock no longer has
that
> "look" that I like, it will just disappear from my list of orders
to place.

> Just my three cents.

S&P
>   > F> wouldn't that be sufficient whether that was in the form of
>   > F> EMini's,  Options, ETF's or what have you ?  Does any
particular
>   > F> system have to  work across a basket of whatever to be
viable ?
>   >
>   > Absolutely, it is not necessary.  I am making hay, lots of hay,
>   > trading the same 5 stocks over and over according to a system.
They
>   > have made money with this system as far back as I can test.
They
>   > continue to make money.  Other stocks break even with the
system.  I
>   > don't know why.  I don't really care either.  I will continue to
>   > trade the 5.  Someday they may stop working.  On the other hand,
>   they
>   > may not, as I can't find a significant time frame where they
>   haven't.
>   > But if they do, I'll look around for something else that works.
>   >
>   > Looking for something that works across a "random basket of
stocks"
>   > is A) a waste of time in my opinion, because B) it makes you
Pope of
>   > The Universal Church of Holy Grailism, which kicked me out
years ago
>   > for heresy. ^^_^^
>   >
>   > Yuki